NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Sean Jones, LB, Texas Southern University
NFL Draft Diamonds has interviewed some of the best small schoolers to make it to the NFL. Last year our team interviewed over 750 players from NAIA to the FBS. This year we went to NFL teams scouts for every question on this interview. Ten NFL scouts who are avid readers of Draft Diamonds put this interview together for our reader’s pleasure. We hope you enjoy this interview, with another potential NFL draft prospect.
• Name: Sean Jones
• Height: 6010
• Weight: 210
• Position: OLB/SS
• College: Texas Southern University
• Twitter: _yeahthatsjones
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- Coming from Midland, Texas there’s not too much to like about the city when there’s nothing in it. The only thing that keeps me going back is my sister she’s the only one still there
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- I would say film study as number one cause if you know your opponents move or your ability to recognize formations during the game you’ll play that much faster in games. Strength & Conditioning would be second due to the fact that you have to be able to either match or be better than your opponents skill set, or you will be exposed. Last but not least practice you have to be able to be to take what you learn or do in the classroom or weight room and be able to transform it into the field
What do you worry about, and why?
- I worry about letting my family down only cause I didn’t come on this journey alone they been there second by second so for me to let them down in any kind of way honestly doesn’t sit right with me
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- The first semester in college started out as a walk-on at UNT didn’t do too well my first year academically. I ended up transferring to Texas Southern the following semester had to regroup and get focused. Next thing you know in the mail I’m getting letters from the Honors Society
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- They would probably say my best quality would be me being consistent throughout the season each and every game. If they weren’t able to make a play they counted on 6️⃣ to make a big play or make a play period
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- Best player I’ve played against in my collegiate career would have to be Marquez Stevenson from UH. If we’re talking within the SWAC Willie Quinn from Southern
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- I do know that I love kids and love seeing them happy more then I do myself. So perhaps a Coach or Personal Trainer
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- My family member, easy sorry for the other 3 but my family all I got without them I’m not the same
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- I’d be Ice Cube or his character Craig on Friday. I feel like a lot of people underestimated Craig, and didn’t believe he could whoop Debo. In my life, I feel I’ve been the underdog for so long and up until this point I’ve proved some people wrong
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- My Mother’s passing away last semester is the toughest thing I’ve dealt with in my life. Instead of getting down I used it as motivation to propel me forward and that anger I had on game days it unleashed
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- One time I was on the highway and my car just cut off in the middle of the highway. Had to cut the hazards on and get right broad daylight. Everybody was staring. I drove off safely though
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- My most memorable play would have to be when I smacked the quarterback from UAPB last year during the 2017 season and got ejected for targeting even though I used all shoulder
What song best describes your work ethic?
- Sky Is The Limit – Lil Wayne
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- You have to be able to be mentally strong. It’s a lot that goes on being a college athlete but only the strong survive
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- It would be my mother so I could ask questions that’ll never get answered
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- Club Flight
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- To be honest, I feel like no one in the NFL is overrated it’s a reason they’re getting paid to what they love
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- I would rather be respected than liked. I feel like respect holds more value rather than somebody like you or not
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- Colin Kaepernick easy. He got the whole NFL against him for standing up for something he believes in and it’s not like the things he believes in are wrong their real problems were having in today’s society and for that, I can respect Kap.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- As an athlete, I love to win in everything I do in every aspect. If I lose I hate it. That’s the competitive side in me
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- Always give love to God cause without him I wouldn’t be here today. Aside from God, my family it has been the same three people from beginning to end. Grandma, my father, and my little brother and for that I’m thankful