NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Mavin Saunders, TE, University of Kansas
- Mavin Saunders
- University of Kansas
- Twitter: @MavinSaunders
What is your name?
- Mavin Saunders.
Where do you play College Football?
- The University of Kansas.
What position do you play?
- Tight End.
What is your height/weight?
- 6’5″ 255lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Played basketball switch to football my junior year of high school.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Josh Sweat.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Music that will help me relax.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- No superstitions.
Who is your role model & why?
- Myron Rolle. Great athlete but also a great person I could talk to about life. He is also from the Bahamas so he helps me deal with anything I go through here. Also admire how hard he worked in the classroom to become a Rhodes Scholar.
You graduated with a degree in Criminology in December 2017 (from Florida State University). What made you pursue that subject?
- I am passionate about helping and protecting the community.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class was a Criminology class I took at Florida State. The class talked about the disadvantages of being a black male in society and the need for positive role models in the black community.
What made you choose the University of Kansas after making the decision to transfer from Florida State?
- Opportunity to help build the program to where they want it to be.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Mentoring kids at Riley Elementary in Tallahassee. The platform I have because of college football allowed me to make a positive impact on kids at the school.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- Favorite player was Brett Favre because he left everything on the field every game. Grew up a Packers fan but switch to Texans after going to middle and high school in Houston.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Vin Diesel, Fast and Furious.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Barack and Michelle Obama, Jackie Robinson.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Martin Luther King. The world is a better place because of him.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
What is your definition of hard work?
- Doing extra when no one is looking and giving everything you have.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- That so many athletes take getting the degree for granted.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Enjoy the moment.
Why do you wear #89?
- 88 was taken.
What is the best part about being from the Bahamas?
- Everyone treats everyone like family.
Who do you choose: Jordan, LeBron, Steph or Kobe? Why?
- LeBron. All around player.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Ps4. Madden, MLB the Show, 2K.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- Making ACC honor roll and graduating.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- That everyone in the world will have equal opportunity to succeed no matter the race or background.
- We find a cure for cancer.
What is your hidden talent?
If there is a book written about Mavin Saunders, what is the title?
- “Pursuit of the American Dream.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Go to a Yankees vs Red Sox playoff game.
- Go to Europe.
- Go to Africa.
Are you binge watching anything right now?
- Designated Survivor.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- Thanking God for all the blessings.
If you could catch a TD from any NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Aaron Rodger. GOAT.
What are three words to give NFL scouts that define Mavin Saunders?
What is your inspiration?
- Providing for my family and for those who are less fortunate on my island.
What current/former NFL player do you compare yourself to?
- Antonio Gates.