NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: Marcus Marshall, RB, James Madison University by, Matt Anzio
- Player: Marcus Marshall
- Position: Running Back
- School: James Madison U
- Previous School: Georgia Tech
- Height: 5’ 10
- Weight: 215 Lbs
- Projected Forty: 4.47
- Projected Round: 7- UDFA
- Draft: 2019
- Grade: Senior
- Hometown: Raleigh N.C.
- Jersey Number: 29
Stats & Awards
- Career 45 games, 395 carries, 2548 yds 6.5 ypc, 25 TD’s, 28 catch, 284 yds, 10.1 avg & 2 TD’s
- Named Hero Sports 3rd Team Preseason
- Thru 9 games 70 carries 420 yds, 6.0 avg, 6 TD’s
- Also has 10 catches for 92 yds, 9.2 avg & 1 TD
- Played in all 14 games
- 143 carries, 850 yds & 11 TD’s 12 catches 58 yds
- Had over 100 yds in 3 games his JR year
- Avg 5.9 ypc & 60.7 ypg.
- GA Tech- played in 11 games
- Had 96 carries 624 yds, 6.5 avg 4 TD ’s, 3 catch 92 yds 30.7 avg with a TD
- 2015: GA Tech- played in 11 games for the Yellowjackets
One of the Hardest Running Backs in this year’s class.
When he gets a head of steam he ’s like a snowball sliding down a mountain gaining momentum gaining even more strength. He gives it everything he has on every play gritty but still elusive
Shifty Compact Powerful with an electric burst & grown man strength.
Marshall has a good frame for the position with a thick lower half good balance & wide base. Has quick shifty feet does not lose much steam making cuts. Strong upper & lower body strong arms hands secure the ball high & tight. Looks like he has been hitting the gym hard getting leaner stronger while still maintaining that burst. Has all the physical attributes to be a successful pro running back. Watching him from Georgia Tech to now at James Madison you can see a transformation. He is in even better shape, in turn, seems to have a better burst. Always maintains consistency running for 6 plus yard average throughout his career.
In the run game can run up the middle or in the A gap like a 3rd down back but also shows the speed & quick cuts to run on the outside or catch laterals & screen passes. Good pad level gets head down makes himself small compact difficult to tackle. Runs with intensity hit the hole hard or create his own by running over players. Gets from 0 to 100 in a heartbeat bouncing out of traffic with a furious explosiveness. Can easily serve as a power back to get short yardage or punch it in at the goal line. Or could be a workhorse every-down type back maybe even a return specialist which he has experience with from College.
No matter what facet of the game a team uses Marshall in, I feel he can excel as he really doesn’t waste motion. Marshall doesn’t lose steam when making cuts or jukes very fluid natural in his movement skills. Has a good frame to block can tell he has good work ethic willingness to do what it takes to make the team.
As a pass catcher out the backfield shows soft hands & good awareness in the passing game. Top flight yard after catch RB he can be a home run threat in the short yardage pass game.
Has a good body type for blocking naturally getting low he keeps a wide stance & possesses a heavy punch off the line good power in his blocks & chips. An asset in the return game with experience returning kicks
In closing, Marcus Marshall is a strong runner quality pass-catching back with special teams experience. Could show more patience at times allow blocks to develop. Would love to see him against other draftable prospects at an All-Star game. He Possesses outstanding power breakaway speed. Might not do a ton of dancing but can juke defenders out their socks. A young man like this by the name of Phillip Lindsay l profiled the last draft. Not gonna put Marshall up there quite yet but I see a lot of similar attributes but most of all they are sleepers that run like they have been disrespected. Run with a giant chip on their shoulders. I see that angry determined run style & can’t wait to see if some teams see the potential in Marshall despite the small school label. This is a prospect with upward of 3,000 scrimmage yards in his career with 27 TD’s as part of a rotation. If he was playing for a big-time school you know people would know the name, Marcus Marshall. Should be a UDFA or camp body believe he will take advantage of any opportunity to play like a Pro.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Last Chance:Fantasy Doctors: Myles Gaskin Injury Update, Will he return this week? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/myles-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 40 mins ago
- Did You See This:NFL Transactions for November 27, 2020, Daily Workouts, Roster Cuts, and Signings… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 42 mins ago
- Last Chance:Fantasy Doctors: John Brown Injury Update, Bills WR will miss another week nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/john-b… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 49 mins ago
- Last Chance:Fantasy Doctors: David Johnson Injury Update, When will he return from concussion protocol?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago
- Ohio State game canceled tomorrow.....
about 1 hour ago