NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Kenneth Steele, LB, Ottawa University
- Name: Kenneth Steele
- Height: 6’0”
- Weight: 215
- Position: Linebacker/ Rush
- College: Ottawa University
- Twitter: @kingsteele2
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- I am from Tampa, Florida and going through all of the struggles of poverty that come with living there helped turn all of my hopes into dreams.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Film Study is most important because it breaks down the criteria of what other teams run. Therefore, I am able to learn whatever they are running and train myself to stop their game plan. Practice is important because it makes all of us as perfect as we can be as we get ready for game time. Strength and conditioning are important because it keeps my body to the physical capacity that I need to be as well as it keeps me healthy. It also keeps me playing at my best performance possible.
What do you worry about, and why?
- Setting goals and being successful in life because I came from nothing, therefore I need to be successful as I move forward.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- An example of when I failed at something is when I did not make the tackle that I knew I could have made. After I missed that tackle, I ran that play in my mind over and over so that the next time I was able to complete the tackle with no problem. I overcame failure by realizing that I have to fail in order to succeed in everything that I do.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
My teammates say that my best quality is being a role model to them as I always take my time to show that I care about them and lend them my advice on and off of the field.
- Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
To be completely honest, I do not really pay attention to the other players that I play against because no offense, but I do not feel that they really matter. However, in practice, the best player that I have played against is Rathen Riceeorff. I think the players on the teams that I have played on have made me a better player rather than the players that I have played against.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- If I couldn’t play football, my career would be firefighting.
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
- I would clean my room first because that is where I start and end my day and I was always taught that if my room is clean in the morning before I go anywhere, then I am going to have a successful day.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- I would try and save everybody or die to try because if I can save one, I can save all.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- I would be a static shock because he was always determined to help others and that is the man that I am as well.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- The biggest adversity that I have overcome is the poverty that I grew up in and I overcame it by realizing that God sends his strongest soldiers on the hardest missions.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- The most embarrassing moment was when my mom gave me a bowl haircut without the fade.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- The most memorable play of my collegiate career was the first sack that I got in the game right after my niece had passed away on the same day.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- The World’s Greatest by R. Kelly
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- The most important trait that I can have to help me succeed at the next level is mental because to defeat any battle you have to be mentally strong.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- It would be my niece, Mel because I would do anything to have her back in my arms for one more second.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- Kings and Queens Lounge
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- Patrick Peterson
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- Respected because respect gets you further in life more than anything.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- Colin Kaepernick because I think that he stood for something bigger than he was without being disrespectful.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- I love to win.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My family has been the biggest influence in my life because without family it is hard to strive to succeed in life.