NFL Draft Diamonds has interviewed some of the best small schoolers to make it to the NFL. Last year our team interviewed over 750 players from NAIA to the FBS. This year we went to NFL teams scouts for every question on this interview. Ten NFL scouts who are avid readers of Draft Diamonds put this interview together for our reader’s pleasure. We hope you enjoy this interview, with another potential NFL draft prospect.
• Name: James Hines IV
• Height: 6050
• Weight: 320
• Position: OL
• College: Southern Oregon University
• Twitter: @bigmike7268
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• I’m from Oakland California and I love all the Mexican taco trucks and soul food restaurants at home, along with going by the bay waters and viewpoints where ill see the whole bay.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Practice, strength and conditioning, film study.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I worry about getting off the ball fast enough and staying in contact. I worry about it because a lot of defensive ends are fast and agile.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• It’s been times when I failed tests in the classroom, and to overcome the failures I switch up my study habits to pass.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• My teammates say my best quality is that I can make anybody smile.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• In JUCO, the best DE I played against was Josh Johnson
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• If I couldn’t play football, I would get my bachelor’s degree in History then travel to Europe to get my Master’s in History so I can become an archeologist.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
• I would clean my room, desk then car
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• I would save my family member because at the end of the day family is all I have. If I could I would try to save them all.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• I would be Terry Crews, because he is funny, serious, and can play any part requested from being a family man to an evil villain.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• My most significant adversity was in high school when I failed my Freshman Year and was kicked off the football team. I was able to regain all the credits needed to play my senior year of football and graduate on time.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• My most embarrassing moment is being a big guy who did not play sports.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• A song that best describes my work ethic is 2 minute drills by All Black
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• My most important trait is not wanting to be second best and always trying to achieve above and beyond in everything I do.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• I would bring back my big cousin, so we could have one last time to hang out with each other and see how much we have grown in the past years.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• I would name my club “The Danser Jefe”. It would mean the Dancing Boss, but since I mixed the French and Spanish it would sound nice.
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- I honestly do not see anyone in the pros as overrated because they all got there for a reason.
Would you rather be liked or respected?
- I believe I would be more respected than liked.
What NFL players career derailed by off-the-field issues do you wish would have been able to right their wrong.
- I feel the most for Chad Johnson because him being arrested for domestic abuse sounds like a mistake.
Do you hate to lose or love to win?
- I love to win and I hate to lose
What person has been the biggest influence on you in your life?
- My Uncle would have to be my most significant influence because he has 2 Master’s Degrees and 2 Bachelor’s Degrees. Growing up he always told me educating and knowledge will take me further.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?