NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report: Ivan King, DB, Arkansas Monticello by Brandon Davis
- Name: Ivan King
- Height: 5100
- Weight: 180 lbs.
- Position: DB
- Draft Class: 2019
- College: Arkansas-Monticello (2016-2018), Snow CC (2014-2015)
- Hometown: Monroe, LA
- 40 Yd Dash: 4.50 secs.
- 3-Cone Drill: N/A
- Short Shuttle: 3.90 Secs.
- Vertical Jump: 32”
- Broad Jump: N/A
- 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 15
- High School: Grand Prairie HS
Games Watched: JUCO Highlights, 2017 Highlights, 2018 Highlights
- (Arkansas-Monticello): 10 GP, 10 Tackles, 1 KR, 8 Yards
- (Arkansas-Monticello): 6 GP, 3 Tackles, 1 INT, 1 Pbrup
- (Arkansas-Monticello): 8 GP, 12 Tackles, 1 INT, 1 Pbrup, 2 PD
- (Snow CC): 9 GP, 20 Tackles
- (Snow CC): DNP
Positives: Has adequate height, can lineup & play at CB, Slot CB, FS, and a gunner on punt team & kickoff team. Plays with good AA & foot speed at each position, along with a high motor. Can disrupt a WR’s route in zone coverage with strength & arm length. Shows competitiveness & strength to disengage blockers on defense against passes to the flats. Breaks on the ball quickly & takes good pursuit angles in zone coverage against crossing routes, demonstrates good trail technique in man coverage by staying on a WR’s back hip. Will go over a WR’s back shoulder to knock down passes. Not afraid to stick his head in & provide run support from the Slot CB & FS spots, is a big hitter, relies on arm length & leverage to fend off blockers on kick coverage & punt coverage.
Negatives: Has a slightly undersized frame at 180 lbs., COD skills are decent due to slightly stiff hips. Only shows marginal strength in press coverage. Tends to false step when breaking on the ball in zone coverage. Can get caught with head turned away from the QB when defending the deep ball in man coverage. Ability to haul in INTs consistently is a question. Does not demonstrate wrap-up tackling ability on a consistent basis, relies on the big hit by going high, or aiming low at the ball carrier’s ankles or feet.
Summary: Was a three-year player at the University of Arkansas-Monticello from 2016-2018 under head coach Hue Jackson after spending 2014 & 2015 at the JUCO level at Snow CC. King is a versatile DB that relies on his AA, toughness, and competitiveness to make plays on defense & special teams, but tends to rely on making the big against a WR or ball carrier. Will fit in on a pro team as a gunner on kickoff & punt team while developing his ball skills & tackling ability as a Slot CB in a zone coverage scheme.
Draft/Position Ranking: N/A
Projection: Free Agent/Pro Camp Player
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:Fantasy Doctors: Josh Jacobs Injury Update, The Raiders RB is fighting a hip injury… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 56 mins ago
- 2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Branden Hohenstein, TE, Abilene Christian nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/08/brande… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 57 mins ago
- Sad story here twitter.com/DraftDiamonds/…
about 1 hour ago
- Last Chance:Former Alabama linebacker William “Rowdy” Harrell and his wife killed in a car accident on their honeym… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago