NFL Draft Diamonds has interviewed some of the best small schoolers to make it to the NFL. Last year our team interviewed over 750 players from NAIA to the FBS. This year we went to NFL teams scouts for every question on this interview. Ten NFL scouts who are avid readers of Draft Diamonds put this interview together for our reader’s pleasure. We hope you enjoy this interview, with another potential NFL draft prospect.
• Name: Devonte Howard
• Height: 5090
• Weight: 180
• Position: WR/PR/KR
• College: University of Tennessee Martin
• Twitter: @howaaarrrdddd
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• I’m from Little Rock, AR. The thing I like most about being where I’m from is the support that you get for making it out and doing something positive and when you come back to town it’s nothing but love.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Practice, film, conditioning, strength
- I chose this order because practice is the best way to get better. I’m pretty sure we’ve heard the phrase practice makes perfect. It’s the best for me because I actually get out on the field and get a feel for things. Then you go watch film on it. Stay in shape. Then go lift after everything.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I worry most about my future because I want to establish something for myself. I’ve had great family support throughout my whole life. But to take care of myself and my family would be my biggest accomplishment.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• In my junior season I failed to make a big touchdown grab that would’ve gave us the lead and won the game. My senior season I ended making a game tying touchdown and immediately thought about that game my junior year and just how far I came and hard I worked.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• I would say my teammates believe my best quality would just be being a leader by doing all the right things and coming to practice everyday.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• Probably #13, LB from Murray State. He’s a beast. He was everywhere against us.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• I’d probably be in marketing or some sort of business management. I carry myself like a boss so that’s what interest me.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
• Room. Where I lay my head has to be clean.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• More than likely my family. Because that’s family lol.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• Eddie Murphy in Coming to America. He’s funny and he played every character. I could do that and express myself like that.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• My biggest adversity would be coming out of high school without a scholarship and having to walk on at the University of Memphis, then leaving Memphis and having to do the same thing at Martin for a year. I just kept faith and worked. I made it to where they had to play me if they wanted what was best for the team.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• Probably on signing day not signing to anybody.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• The most memorable play would be my senior year the game tying Hail Mary I caught against TSU.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• Work Hard, Play Hard -Wiz Kahlifa
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• Being more prepared mentally than your opponent. Your going to over matched at some point in your career. Where you win is knowing how to win before the play even starts
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• Probably my grandpa Edd. Just because I didn’t get a chance to see or talk to him before he passed away.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
• Joe Flacco. Only because I’m a Lamar Jackson fan.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• I’d rather be respected. I could care less if you like me. I don’t need new friends. But you will know my name and what I bring to the table either now or after I play you.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Colin Kaepernick. There’s a lot worse situations in the NFL than just kneeling for the national anthem. The standard isn’t the standard anymore and it shows because who is in office. The man can play ball, I believe he deserves another opportunity.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• I love to win. I understand that losses happen and especially in a team sport where you have to rely on another person to do there job in every aspect of the game there bound to be mistakes. But the the beauty is when all 10 other guys do there job and we work on one accord and get the W together.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My parents and other athletes in my family. I just see how hard they work just to get to where they are. So I surround myself with those people so I can pick up their habits and learn the ropes from them.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Chargers designated RB Austin Ekeler to return from injured reserve nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/austin… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/DBHp9TFh3f
about 12 mins ago
- Did You See This:Cardinals QB Kyler Murray did not participate in open practice this morning (Injury Update)… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 13 mins ago
- Did You See This:Rex Burkhead tweets he will be back in 2021 after suffering an ACL injury nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/rex-bu…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 30 mins ago
- Did You See This:Falcons WR Julio Jones could end up being a game-time decision week 12 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/julio-…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 39 mins ago
- Week 11 Recap: Los Angeles Rams vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers ift.tt/35Zgceb
about 42 mins ago