NFL Draft Diamonds has interviewed some of the best small schoolers to make it to the NFL. Last year our team interviewed over 750 players from NAIA to the FBS. This year we went to NFL teams scouts for every question on this interview. Ten NFL scouts who are avid readers of Draft Diamonds put this interview together for our reader’s pleasure. We hope you enjoy this interview, with another potential NFL draft prospect.
• Name: Damon Cox
• Height: 5010
• Weight: 205
• Position: RB, KR, Special Teams
• College: University of North Alabama
• Twitter: @DamonJuwon
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• I am from Memphis TN I like the downtown river front and like when the Memphis Grizzlies play at the Fedex forum.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• Strength and Conditioning comes first for be because I believe that you have to be in shape and be in good physical condition for the game of football. Next would be film study it is important to see what you need to work on for you to be successful on the field. Next practice once you have put the strength and conditioning and film all together you bring all that preparation to practice to better yourself.
What do you worry about, and why?
• Sometimes I worry about not reaching my dream goals and letting my dad and mom down after they have put so much time and money into me over the years.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• Coming out of high school I didn’t have any college offers and I had to sit out a year and just go to school and workout for a whole year. Within that year I trained hard everyday and on my overall game and got a walk-on spot at UNA and did good my first year and earned a full scholarship for the rest of my time at UNA. So I take that fire and just continue to work everyday.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• I have heard my teammates say my work ethics is off the charts and I am a unselfish player.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• I would say Tre Sullivan from Shepherd university he now plays Safety for the Eagles.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• I would like to be a strength and conditioning coach at a university or own my own gym and help all people.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
• Room because that where you begin and end your day.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• I would have to choose my family because that’s someone you spent time with and been through things with and family will have your back and I got their back.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• I would be Lebron James. Because if you look at what all he has been through in his life he is a very strong minded person and over came adversity every time he faced it.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• My biggest adversity was me not having any college offers to working hard everyday and finally finding a school to believe and give me a chance and I am very thankful for UNA and coach Bobby Wallace for believing in me.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• My embarrassing moment was me having and 80 yard run and getting pushed out of bounds at the 20 yard line.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• My most memorable moment was getting my first 100 yard rushing game.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• I’m A Dog – Gucci Mane
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• I think you have to trust in yourself and know that you belong and be coachable and always willing to learn and improve on things.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• My uncle Andre Cox because him and my dad instilled that go get it mindset in me.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• TD celebrations
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
• Don’t really have a overrated person.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• Respected because people admire your game.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• Ray Rice I wished he could of just called the police instead of putting his hands on a woman.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• I hate to lose. But you can learn more from losing than winning.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• My dad. My dad has been teaching and coaching me up all my life he has been their for me in everything I have been through in life. As I keep growing I hope I can make my dreams come true and take care of him and my mom.