NFL Draft Diamonds has interviewed some of the best small schoolers to make it to the NFL. Last year our team interviewed over 750 players from NAIA to the FBS. This year we went to NFL teams scouts for every question on this interview. Ten NFL scouts who are avid readers of Draft Diamonds put this interview together for our reader’s pleasure. We hope you enjoy this interview, with another potential NFL draft prospect.
- Name: Cody Netusil
- Height: 6’3”
- Weight: 240lbs
- Position: Punter
- College: Wayne State College
- Twitter: @codynetusil3
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- I am from Carroll, Iowa. It is a town of 12,000 people in Western Iowa. Carroll is a smaller town with a big town feel There is a Catholic school and a public school in town.. I love that on Friday nights, the whole town shuts down and goes to support the local high school teams. It really shows how much the people care about the school successes.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- All three components are critical to achieving a high level of success. A punter requires proper technique and fundamentals to be successful and this is achieved with practice and reps. Strength and conditioning, especially in the core, is a huge part of being an outstanding punter. Film study helps you understand the punt return unit you’re about to face and what you need to do to best help your team.
What do you worry about, and why?
- I tend to have a positive outlook on things and live in the moment. I do not worry about a whole lot.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- I missed two free throws my senior year in high school to win the game. I came back the next day and worked hard and was in the gym to improve my free throws to make sure that never happens again. After we lost that game we all knew we would be facing them again in the District Final to advance in the playoffs. We came out very focused and beat them by 22 points to advance in the Iowa Class 3A state playoffs.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- I would say my teammates would say my best quality is my competitiveness and my desire to win. I will do whatever my team needs me to do to win the football game.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- Jake Balliu. He is a punt/kick returner from Winona State University. He led DII and set a school record with 504 punt return yards which ranked him ninth in punt return average.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- I would pursue a career in real estate and finance.
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
- Whichever one demands my immediate attention at the time based on what I’m going to be doing next would be cleaned first.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- I am very committed to my family. They have been with me through thick and thin and I would save my one family member.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- Joey Tribbiani. He is an inspiring actor off of the show Friends. Joey is for sure the funniest character on the show. I chose Joey because he never gives up. He is pursuing an acting career and that is what he is going to do. He failed a number of different times and kept going and kept pushing himself to do better.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- The death of my grandfather. I dealt with it by becoming even closer to my family and cherishing every moment we have together. I honor him before every punt by tapping my chest twice and pointing to the sky. I know he is in heaven looking over me!
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- I was racing my uncle up the stairs of Hilton Coliseum in Ames, IA and tripped and hit my face on the cement stairs. I split my chin open and it required stitches.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- My most memorable play was my 75-yard punt against Minnesota State Moorhead with then led to the returner to fumble the ball and we recovered it on the two-yard line.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- Eye of the Tiger
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- The ability to stay focused mentally. Once you’ve developed the physical ability to punt a football the mental aspect is huge. How you respond to success and adversity can define you as a punter. Analyze it, learn from it and move on.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- My grandpa Tony. I would love to spend every minute I could with him. I love that man with all of my heart and would do anything to see him one more time.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- I have never thought about it because I have no interest in opening a dance club.
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- Less than 2% of college players get to play in the NFL. If a player has been successful enough tor each the top of our sport and makes an NFL roster they aren’t overrated.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- Respected. Respect is earned, not given. If someone respects me then I’ve done something positive through my abilities, actions, words, or achievements to earn that respect. The best leaders are respected, but not always liked.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- Pat Tillman. He made the decision to temporality leave his NFL career with the Arizona Cardinals and enlist in the Army in 2002 after 911. He paid the ultimate off the field price.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- Hate to lose
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My father, Clay. He played college football at the University of Northern Iowa and had two pro tryouts with the New England Patriots and Miami Dolphins. He has taught me how to punt from day one. He has been there for me since day one and I know he would do anything I need help with in life. He is and always will be my role model.