- Name: Christopher (CJ) Carrillo
- Height: 6’3
- Weight: 325
- Position: Left Guard/Center
- College: Langston University
- Twitter: @cjcarrillo69
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
• Midland, Texas. The tall city. Midland is a town like no other. From the outside looking in you wouldn’t think much of it but if you are from there then you know that’s not all true. We are filled with a rich oil field, Great football, and beautiful people. I love the fact that we are growing everyday and in the years to come we will be another big city in Texas.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
• First, it would be strength and conditioning. Because you need to be a psychical shape which will make you mentally stronger so you can watch film and carry that onto the practice field.
What do you worry about, and why?
• I worry about my family. They are the most important thing to me. They are my backbone and without their help and guidance, a lot of things I have accomplished wouldn’t of been true.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
• Life comes with many failures. I did not get any awards my senior year. And I felt like I let down my dad and myself. So I told myself I would never let that happen again. I worked all summer went to Langston university and I have received an award every year even getting multiple my last two years.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
• Being a leader not so much vocal but by my actions. I go to the weight room everyday, I practice hard, and game time I turn into a different person and I think that motivates them to be better as well
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
• If would have to be the nose tackle from opsu. I do not know his name but that man was pretty talented.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
• I would love to own a chicken wing place. An all you can eat chicken place, where you can pick your own sauce and put as much as you like.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
• I would choose my desk if you see that your desk is clean you will fill less clutter and it would start a domino effect to wanna clean your room and then a car
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
• Well to be completely honest if the family member is my father. I’ll be saving him. That is my best friend and I wouldn’t know what to do without him. Hopefully, I’m never in the predicament
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
• Will Ferrell. He is my favorite actor and he is absolutely hilarious no matter what movies he is in.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
• It would have to be taken away from my father. I was around six years old. My mom had packed up and moved me to Florida. Away from everything/everybody I knew. Three years into living in Florida I had begged my mom to let me move back. She finally did and it was the greatest thing to happen to me. I was put into football right away and that started my career off in football.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
• The spelling bee my third grade year. I went to the mic and I could not spell chocolate. I was so nervous and embarrassed I walked off the stage.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
• The last snap of my senior game. We kneeled the ball and I walked over to the sideline and I gave my mom and dad the biggest hug because they sacrificed it all for me and that had to be the great play in my collegiate career.
What song best describes your work ethic?
• Many men-by 50 cent
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
• Non physical would have to be my mentally of not caring who or what is lined up in front of me. The willingness to just want to dominate a defensive linemen and make sure he remembers me. Physical would have to be my overall strength. But with that being said I can always get stronger and faster
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
• My grandma Lola. She was the strongest women I knew. Even though she died when I was at a young age I still remember everything like it was yesterday. I would love to eat her home cooked meals and just listen to her talk Spanish even though I had no idea what she was saying.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
• Carrillo’s midnight madness
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
• Since I’ve never made it to the N.F.L. I really don’t have an answer for this one.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
• Respected. Respect goes a further than being just liked. Why because people aren’t always gonna like you but they will respect you.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
• There’s a lot of players who’ve had off the field issues. Greg Hardy the defensive linemen for the cowboys. It was upsetting to see such great talent go to waste because of off the field issues. I don’t necessarily feel bad because I feel as a grown man you are in control of your own actions.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
• I hate to lose. I grew up never accepting defeat and short-live a victory. A lose will weigh heavy on you and make you grind harder. A victory will make you complaisance.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
• Mike and Laura Carrillo. Those two right there have done it all just for me to be where i am today and never blinked an eye about it. They had 6 kids to raise, sometimes with no more or little money and made it work. I was never hungry and I always had a roof over my head. It wasn’t perfect by any means but watching them struggle has made me appreciate life a lot more. Everyday I wake up I strive to be as strong psychical and mentally as my parents. Exactly why I will do anything to make it.