- Name: Shy Smith
- Height: 6’2
- Weight: 224
- Position: DE/LB/DB
- College: Ferrum College
- Twitter: @Shy_Smith3
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- I am originally from Elizabethtown North Carolina but live in Chatham, Virginia what I love most about Chatham is the peace whenever I go home. I can relax and enjoy the outdoors.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- I feel that strength and conditioning is very important because without the body is in great condition you couldn’t play the game, then it’s film study that’s highly important because you can watch tendencies your opponent may give off to make big plays, which transition to practicing being last but as important than the other two being repetitive on what the opponent may run can affect a game. Training the eyes is key.
What do you worry about, and why?
- I tend to worry about what if my family isn’t happy. I like all smiles around me.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- When I couldn’t get into the first college I wanted to go to I ended up coming to my second choice of school and took advantage of the opportunities I had in front of me. And everything turned out for the better.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- Playing the next play. Understanding that both teams will make plays but it comes down to who makes the most plays.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- Malik Adams who had attended N.C. Wesleyan. I mean the kid could flat out ball, that’s that one opponent where you have to study the whole sixty minutes for. He ended up with an All-American season that year.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- I have a degree in strength and conditioning so if football were not to work out for me I would like to do personal training or some type of strength and conditioning at a University
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
- I would say that I would clean my room first. More people come to my house than they get in my car.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- I would choose the three strangers because my family member has the same survival instincts that I have to survive.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- I would like to be Rocky Balboa; Rocky is a character with charm people gravitate towards him in addition of him bring a winner/champion.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- My biggest adversity was when I had torn my Achilles last year. I kept my head up and I kept faith understanding when the light came around again I would seize the moment.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- my most embarrassing moment is on a fast break on the basketball court and missing an open layup for the win
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- The first time we got our turf field and we played against our rival team. My coach asked how would we leave our mark on this field. I made an interception in the final seconds of the fourth quarter and sent the game into overtime.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- Wiz Khalifa- Work hard, play hard
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- Positive attitude because every negative is not a negative it’s a lesson that comes from it, maybe on how to get better from a situation or how to just avoid certain things.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- My grandfather. I chose him, so I could hear more words of encouragement from him.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- Summer Reign
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- Me personally I don’t feel like there is an overrated player in the NFL. Everyone works hard and they get out what they put in.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- I will rather be respected. If you want to be like, you are doing anything to be liked. If you have respect people will gravitate towards you because you’re doing the things that need to be done at the moment.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- I feel for any player who had to face adversity off the field and couldn’t get past their mishaps, for its not up to us individuals to look down on their mistakes.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- I hate to lose. because you should expect to win everything that you do. That is the nature of a true competitor.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My mom has been a big influence on me. It’s been us for a while and with her being young having me, I had to watch her grow as a person and overcome obstacles that were challenging to her. Seeing that at a young age made me have a purpose for never wanting to fail, but understanding the purpose of failure and how to attack it. Others have been a great help along the way of my path in transitioning to a young man.