NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Shayne Lawless, LB, Stony Brook University
NFL Draft Diamonds has interviewed some of the best small schoolers to make it to the NFL. Last year our team interviewed over 750 players from NAIA to the FBS. This year we went to NFL teams scouts for every question on this interview. Ten NFL scouts who are avid readers of Draft Diamonds put this interview together for our readers pleasure. We hope you enjoy this interview, with another potential NFL draft prospect.
• Name: Shayne Lawless
• Height: 6’2”
• Position: LB
• College: Stony Brook University
• Twitter: @Slawless3
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- I’ve moved around a lot so the entire area of South Jersey holds a special place in my heart. The blue collar manner and local communities has made me who I am.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Practice, Film Study, Strength and Conditioning
What do you worry about, and why?
- I worry about not reaching my full potential as a player but more importantly a man. I always feel like I can do more in everything and that constant feeling of not being satisfied.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- I did not pass a math class twice my freshman year.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- My ability to be vocal on the field and help my teammates understand how the opponent is going to attack us.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- Quinton Flowers- USF
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- I would like a career in social work on a national level. Specifically under-privileged youth.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- One family member. I owe my family my life for all of their support and love shown to me throughout my life.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- Don Vito- The Godfather II. His hustle and vision are traits are things I respect.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- The biggest adversity I’ve faced is the pain of losing loved ones to drugs, violence, and imprisonment. I’ve dealt with this by keeping them in mind and hopefully making them proud as I work towards my goals in life
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- My first TFL against New Hampshire my freshman year
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- The ability to understand scheme of your defense and the opponent.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
Liked because people will want to do right by me because of the love I showed them.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- I hate to lose
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My mother because her work ethic and the adversity she has overcome and is still overcoming is my inspiration