NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Shane Gaines, DB, Salisbury University
- Shane Gaines
- Salisbury University
- Twitter: @smgaines_1
2018 Accolades & Statistics
- 2018 NJAC Football All-Conference First-Team.
- 39 Total Tackles – 0.5 TFL – 3 INTs.
What is your name?
- Shane Gaines.
Where do you play College Football?
- Salisbury University.
What position do you play?
- Defensive back. I have played FS for my first three seasons then moved to CB my senior season.
What is your height/weight?
- 5’7″ 190lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- I played baseball (OF) and was a jumper with track and field (LJ TJ).
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Joe Callahan (Currently a backup QB for the Philadelphia Eagles) or Connor Cox, QB from Frostburg State University.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Drake’s actual rap, Meek Mill, Future, and Baltimore artist (Lor Scoota, Young Moose, HoodLyfe Choopa, and Bandhunna Izzy). A little R&B here and there to relax my mind.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- Praying of course is a superstition of mine. But my biggest is the ‘Swag’ I wear. I have to have a certain swag on to feel comfortable.
Who is your role model & why?
- My defensive coordinator and position coach, Coach Rob Disbennett.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- Favorite class: Learning Leadership.
- Least Favorite Class: History.
What made you choose Salisbury University?
- The welcoming and comfort I felt from the coaches when looking to transfer from my previous institution (Shepherd University).
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Developing my love for helping others. I work as a student mentor in the local community.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- I did not really have a favorite team but my favorite player was Michael Vick. I wanted to be just like him as a QB. Then when I started playing football, my favorite player became Adrian Peterson because of how dominate he was running the football.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Any of the Friday movies. I would play as “Dada” (Mike Epps).
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- My sister Kimberly, who passed away, my mom, and my grandfather.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- I would meet Muhammad Ali. I am a thinker and have a lot of questions about the adversity he faced. So I would love to just pick his brain about his life and what it took to accomplish what he did.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Batman, he has no super powers. That is cool that he doesn’t have powers but still is a top ’superhero.’
What is your definition of hard work?
- Doing the things that you might not feel like doing with immense effort and grit.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- How much preparation matters.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Sports are the door, but academics is the KEY.
Why do you wear #1?
- I wanted to wear 3, but one of my good friends wore it before me and basically “passed it down to me.” Former top players wore it at SU, so I wanted the pressure on me to be great.
What is the best part of your hometown, Baltimore, MD?
- The resiliency it builds. If you are lucky to make it out, the feeling of what you came from, makes the city great.
Who do you choose: Jordan, LeBron, Steph or Kobe? Why?
- LeBron, he can play all five positions, well, and makes the people around him three-four levels better.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Xbox one. I am playing Madden 19 and 2K19.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- The whole football experience in general. A lot of ups and downs throughout my career to choose one memorable moment.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- My mom does not struggle any more.
- My sister was alive and never had sickle cell.
- I always have food to eat.
What is your hidden talent?
- Public speaking.
If there is a book written about Shane Gaines, what is the title?
- “Through It All: He Can Accomplish Whatever He Puts His Mind To.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Go to Hawaii.
- Coach or play in and NFL game.
- Sky dive.
Are you binge watching anything right now?
- Making a Murderer and Criminal Minds.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- As a player or coach, would be studying film. But in general I probably would be googling or figuring out how to accomplish something I could not.
If you could intercept any NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Peyton Manning. My favorite QB is Tom Brady and I hate when people compare him and Manning. So if I intercepted him, I would use that in my argument on who is better.
What are three words to give NFL scouts that define Shane Gaines?
What is your inspiration?
- My nephews.
What current/former NFL player do you compare yourself to?
- Tyrann Mathieu.