NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: James Allen, CB, Charleston Southern University
- Name: James “Pop” Allen
- Height: 5’7
- Weight: 164
- Position: Corner Back & Return Specialist
- College: Charleston Southern University (UMass
- Twitter: @jo7_era
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- Fort Lauderdale, FL I love everything about my city. We’re just different. South Florida is just different.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Strength and Conditioning, Film Study, Practice. They all are one and the same with importance to me because they feed off of each other. Without strength and conditioning practice would suck for you and your body will not be able to hold up, the season is not a sprint it is a Marathon. Without film study what are you practicing for. And if you can’t just not practice.
What do you worry about, and why?
- With my size, I have to have confidence with no worries but what I do stress is my technique. I’m a technician I’m going to stay true to it.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- I would have to say my junior season. I failed to produce and help my team the way I knew I should and I could. Faced some adversity but I overcame it and train harder and just stayed true to myself. My senior year I did the things my supporters have been telling I could do, blessed.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- My teammates rely on my speed, and football IQ. They trust me.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- I played so many great players throughout my 4 years I just have to shoot all those boys some love and respect.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- I would be in the business world while working for the FBI White Collar crime.
Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
- My coach, Coach Foster, always lets us know in the cornerback room we are “gents” everything has to stay clean so no room for error in areas of that nature.
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- I’ll try to save everyone, teamwork make the dream work we have to find a way.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- I’m apart of the F4 on my team. Our starting secondary here at CSU. I’m a wolverine. Jonathan Slaton #3 is captain America. Brandon Rowland #7 is Human Torch. Shadarius Hopkins #6 is the hulk. Look up CSU F4 on YouTube though.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- The biggest thing I had to go through was my time at UMass. I appreciate coach whip, Coach Masella, Coach Costello, Coach Smith and all of those men at that university for the opportunity and my old teammates, however, things didn’t work out and we had to go separate ways . My headspace was not ready and I needed to start over, thankful for all I’ve been through though. I’ve learned a lot. Grateful for CSU’s coaching staff for taking me in and my teammates for treating me like family.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- Freshman year I was on all the hype pages and Sports Center top 10 for the wrong reason.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- It would have to be either my freshman year the game at bowling green with a 97 yd td it was my first or the interception this past weekend vs Campbell to help seal the game.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- Future – Last Breath, I’ve been doubted all my life. But I’m gonna work and I got angels all around me. Broward County made a man out of me.
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- My grit
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- Can’t say. One day won’t be long enough.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- “Da Spot”
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- They pros all of those men really like that.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- In the most humble way I can put this I would take the respect because a person can like you and have no respect for you. You don’t have to like me but you’re gonna respect me.
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- Everybody makes mistakes. We all just have to limit them.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- I hate to lose. I’m always willing to learn and losses teach you things and you won’t make the same mistakes again. When you win you may think everything is cool cause you won but there are mistakes and they don’t get the attention they need.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- I can’t just choose one person. I have so many family members, brothers, coaches, teachers, and so many more people who have an influence on my life it would be a discredit to state just one name. What’s understood doesn’t have to be explained.