NFL Draft Diamonds 2019 Prospect Interview: Derron Gatewood, OL, UTEP
- Derron Gatewood
- UTEP – University of Texas at El Paso
- Twitter: @Preacher_Man65
What is your name?
- Derron Gatewood
Where do you play College Football?
- UTEP- University of Texas at El Paso.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’2″ 300lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Baseball and Basketball.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- #93 from Texas – Paul Boyette.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- J Cole – Adolescence.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- The same song must be playing on my phone before I get off the bus. Which is Dreams and Nightmares by Meek Mill.
Who is your role model & why?
- My dad because he is the one that taught me the game of football and is the type of father I want to be to my kids one day.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class was Special Populations and my least favorite class was Exercise Physiology.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Being able to work football camps and teach kids the game of football.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- The Dallas Cowboys and Ray Lewis because of the passion he has for the game. He played with everything he had every game.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Friday Night Lights and Ivory Christian (Lee Jackson) aka Preacher Man
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- My grandpa.
- My Grandma.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Martin Luther King Jr because he was a major impact on civil rights.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Thor, because how powerful he is.
What is your definition of hard work?
- Working Vigorously at a given task to complete it with maximum efficiency.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- When I fractured my ankle in my first start at the collegiate level and having to learn how to overcome the adversity and coming back stronger.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- To focus more on getting really good grades.
Why do you wear #65?
- It was the number I was given when I got to UTEP and it has stuck ever since.
What is the best part of your hometown, Odessa, TX?
- Permian High School because of Friday Night Lights the movie.
Who do you choose, Jordan, LeBron or Kobe? Why?
- LeBron because he puts on a show every game.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- PS4 and Rainbow Six Siege.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- Graduating College.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- Be able to travel in time.
- World Peace.
- Be a billionaire.
What is your hidden talent?
- I’m really good in the kitchen.
If there is a book written about Derron Gatewood, what is the title?
- Finish What You Start.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Travel all over the world.
- Go skydiving.
- Learn a new language.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- Handmaids Tales on Hulu.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- Play my PS4.
What are the goals for 2018, both individually & for the UTEP football team?
- For me, my goal is to win my battle upfront every play every game.
- For my team, is to get us a winning season and play for a conference championship along with a bowl game.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Derron Gatewood, what would they be?
What inspires you?
- Watching NFL players and seeing how much their lives change for not only them but their families.