NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Derek Barnes, WR, Kentucky Wesleyan College
- Name: Derek Barnes
- Height: 6’0
- Position: WR
- College: Kentucky Wesleyan College
- Twitter: @derekbarnes11
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- I love where I from Clearwater Florida. The most thing I love about it is the talent everywhere in Pinellas County. High School was competitive
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Film Study, Strength and Conditioning, and practice
What do you worry about, and why?
- I worry about where I am going to be in 5-10 years. I don’t want to be a statistic.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- I remember there was a practice where I fumble, I went back watched film and the reason I fumbled is that I didn’t have the ball high and tight.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- Passion for the game
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- Kevin Byard– Tennesse Titans
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- Be a coach somewhere coaching football
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
- Room, car, the desk
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- Three strangers because I know that’s the right thing to do. Plus my family member would want to be to do that.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- I would be Black Panther. Because he is a superhero with superhuman powers.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- My biggest adversity was having to bury my twin brother. I didn’t really deal with it the pain never goes away.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- When I was 7 years old I tripped over the banner coming out to the middle of the field to start the game.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- The most memorable play is when I was playing at Middle Tennessee State vs FAU and I was on a kickoff return and I cracked somebody so clean.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- I don’t get tired – Kevin Gates
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- I think I’m very mentally tough and I am a student of the game I always trying to learn and find ways to better myself and others around me
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- My twin brother, I miss him and would like to talk to him
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- Club DNA
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- I would rather be respected because it doesn’t matter if someone doesn’t like you but its important for them to respect you.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- I HATE to lose!!!
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My mother is my biggest influence I got my grit from her and she is the hardest working person I know.