NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Chidi Okeke, OL, Tennessee State University
- Name: Chidi OkekeHeight: 6’6ft
- Weight: 320lbs
- Position: Offensive Tackle
- College: Tennessee State University
- Twitter: @okekechidi96
Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- I’m from a small town called ‘Awka’ in Anambra State in Nigeria. What I love most about my town is people over there. Every family knows each other.
List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Practice, film Study and strength, and conditioning. Why I listed it like that is because I need to practice first, then study the film to see my strength and weaknesses in order to improve my game. So strength and conditioning is the last thing.
What do you worry about, and why?
- I don’t worry about anything, I come out every day and do what I have to do.
Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- I failed in so many things life but I learn from my failures to get better. I learned from it.
What do your teammates say is your best quality?
- Hard working and being a good teammate.
Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- I played against a lot of great players throughout my college career including those I played against when I was at LSU before transferring to Tennessee State University.
What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- Due to the passion of the game and the opportunity football has given me, I would love to be around the game in any capacity to enhance the development of football either in coaching, analysts, football front office, working with the NFL to continue the development of football both nationally and internationally.
Room, desk, and car – which do you clean first?
- My room
If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- It depends on who is in the greatest danger and who need most or urgent help.
If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- One of my favorite movie characters is Spider-Man. I chose spider-man because he always help people and my passion is to help and give back to my community.
Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- One of my biggest adversity in life is losing my Dad at a very young age, and my Mom being the breadwinner of the family since my father passed away. I dealt with this adversity by working hard both in school and football field to be able to take care of my mom and siblings.
What is your most embarrassing moment?
- The first time I moved to the United States when I talk people doesn’t understand what I said because of my accent.
What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- I have a lot of memorable play and wins with my team throughout my collegiate career.
What song best describes your work ethic?
- My cultural music, It always describes my work ethic because they always talk about being brave, humble, and strong.
What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- Hard work.
If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- My Father, why because I want him to see the man I have become.
If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- If I were to open a dance club, I will name it “CHIDI AFRO DANCE CLUB”
Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- I don’t think any player is overrated in the NFL, you made it to NFL because of you good enough.
Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- I would rather be respected because respect is reciprocal and everybody will not like you. Some will and others will not
What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- I feel for Johnny Manziel the most because I find it hard to imagine that the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner would allow his off the field lifestyle denies him the successes and hachement he has had if he had continued playing in the NFL.
Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- I hate to lose.
Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My mother, she is the one that took care of me as a single parent when I lost my father.