- Tre Watson
- University of Maryland
- Twitter: @MDQue_33
2017 Accolades & Statistics
- Academic All-Big Ten. (University of Illinois)
- 65 Total Tackles – 4.5 TFL – 1.5 Sacks – 1 INT – 1 FR. (University of Illinois) *7 starts in 9 games played
What is your name?
- Tre Watson.
Where do you play College Football?
- University of Maryland.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’2″ 238lbs.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Akrum Wadley (Iowa – 2014-2017). We had 3 great match-ups over the last three years and had many 1 on 1 battles.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Have to. Mix of old and new with Tee Grizzley Drake, Future, Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twins, Young Thug, Lil Boosie, and a few more.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- I’m not weird about superstitions but I generally follow the same routine. I’m really laid back before games compared to most and just like to joke around, dance during warm-ups, that kind of thing
Who is your role model & why?
- I have several role models but for linebacker play I see a lot of myself in Patrick Willis with his tenacious play and mindset for the game. That’s how I approach every snap with the intention to make the offense feel my hits and when he played I feel like he did the same.
You are working on your graduate degree in Masters of Public Health: Behavioral & Community Health. What do you want to do with that degree later in life?
- So my undergrad was also Pre-Dental which is my ultimate post-football path of being an orthodontist. The MPH is to further the development I made in my undergraduate program and give me a well rounded knowledge base for the healthcare system, the insurance aspects of healthcare, and also for managing a health care facility
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- Favorite class period: Badminton.
- Favorite academic course: Gender and Women in antiquity.
- Least Favorite: Organic Chemistry by far.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- My favorite experience has been becoming a member of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc. through the Pi Psi chapter in 2016 and having the opportunity to build memories for a lifetime with my chapter brothers.
After making the decision to transfer from the University of Illinois, what made Maryland the right destination for you?
- It was a place where I knew I fit a specific need for this year and where I felt comfortable being able to help this team compete and win big time football games because that is what a competitor looks for. I knew that coming here I gave myself the best opportunity to prove to NFL scouts, coaches, and teams that I have what is needed to play linebacker at the highest level.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- My favorite player was and always will be Michael Vick and because of him I was a huge Atlanta Falcons fan growing up.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- White Chicks, I’d be every character because I know the entire script verbatim.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- King Leonidas.
- Walter Payton.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Dr. Ernest Everett Just, one of the four founders of my fraternity and an iconic figure in early 20th century science as he was known as the Black Apollo of science.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Hulk, he is vicious when it comes to fighting and is absolutely indestructible. Plus the newer Hulks have the ability to control their emotion and talk which is crazy. (Disregard the soft Hulk that was in Avengers Infinity War though, don’t want to be him).
What is your definition of hard work?
- Hard work is when you come to a task and you know the energy and effort that will be required of you to undertake it. Knowing that it won’t be a walk in the park and if you want to say you finished it, you will have to put your all into it and not be denied in your efforts.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- That people will lie directly to your face, even those you trust, to ensure that they push their agenda and allow you to take the fall even if it is not your fault.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- I would tell myself that eventually I will grow, not to stress it right now and to enjoy the innocence of the high school experience to the fullest.
Why do you wear #33?
- I wear 33 just as my dad did throughout his career and do so because Jesus Christ was crucified on the cross at the age of 33. I’ve worn it my whole football career and unfortunately won’t be able to in the NFL because linebackers are restricted to 40s, 50s, and 90s.
What is the best part of your hometown, Tampa, FL?
- The best part is the diversity of the people that you can meet at any time or any place and instantly have a connection.
Your Dad (Tim Watson) played in the NFL from 1993-1997 as a DB for the Packers, Chiefs, Giants & Eagles. How would it feel to be able to play on the same field with your Dad?
- It would be crazy how intense that would be with the way he played the game. There would be huge hits every play and a heck of a lot of emotion on the field at one time.
Who do you choose, Jordan, LeBron or Kobe? Why?
- LeBron, I go with what he has been able to do across his entire career whether it was play with average players, work to create a super team, as well as evolve his own game over time. What he done in the NBA for this long is absolutely insane in terms of longevity, production, and the way he has impacted the game in every manner with scoring, play-making, defense, you name it.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Xbox One all day. I’m a Hall of Fame 2K player and shooting games are fun like Fortnite, Call of Duty, or Battlefield
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- It would be winning the Michigan State game in 2016 because it was such a back and forth battle and I really got to showcase all of my skill-sets as a LB. Also, at the end of the game it came down to our defense making a play and I got to directly contribute to sealing the win for our team.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- For bacon to be the healthiest food on earth. (You’re welcome everybody!)
- To have the super powers of the flash and the Hulk combined.
- To be able to fly.
What is your hidden talent?
- Impersonations (Eating would be a close second).
If there is a book written about Tre Watson, what is the title?
- “Ball… and a lot of Bacon.”
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- See the 7 wonders of the World.
- Skydive (checking that one off early).
- Stay in one of the huts in the water in Bora Bora.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- There is always something that we’re watching on Netflix but the most recent show would be Luke Cage.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- Play video games.
If you could tackle any NFL RB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Prime Adrian Peterson.
What are the goals for 2018, both individually & for the University of Maryland football team?
- Team: We have all the pieces to compete against the best teams in our conference so the goal is to stay healthy and put guys in positions to produce. Mediocrity is not a goal nor is it acceptable so we will enter every game with the mindset of winning and that is the goal. 12-0 regular season will give us the opportunity to play for a conference title and earn a spot in the playoff which should be every team’s goal regardless of rank.
- Individual: There is no set number I have for any stat for myself. I know what I am capable of as a linebacker so this season is about me taking advantage of every opportunity I get to prove to whoever is watching that I am an ELITE linebacker who is going to make it happen at this level and the next. In doing so, the plan is to help my team win football games week in and week out. Vague goal, but I know what is required to make it happen.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Tre Watson, what would they be?
What inspires you?
- My inspiration in playing this game is knowing that I get the opportunity to go out and do something that I enjoy every single day and can earn a living that could potentially set my family up for generations if I do it the way that I am capable of.
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Last Chance:NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Tristian Green, LB, Saint Augustine nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/03/tristi… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 19 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Robert Quinn will visit the Saints next after his visit with the Cowboys nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/03/nfltra…
about 46 mins ago via Twitter for iPhone
- NFL Transactions for March 19th, 2019 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/03/nfltra… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/Q0d2jDz0mq
about 46 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- 2019 Small School Sleeper Spotlight – Defensive Backs Edition - nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/sleepe…
about 52 mins ago via Twitter for iPhone
- Last Chance:NFL Transactions for March 19th, 2019 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/03/nfltra… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/SLOOmteJu2
about 55 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro