NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: David Simmons, CB, North Park University
- Name: David Simmons Jr.
- Height: 6’2”
- Weight: 185 lbs
- Position: Cornerback
- College: North Park University
- Twitter: dsj_1
1.) Tell us about your hometown, and what you love most about it?
- My hometown is Indianapolis, Indiana and I love the quiet simplicity of it and the support of the sport fans!
2.) List these three in order of importance and why: Film Study, Strength and Conditioning and Practice?
- Strength and conditioning because to become a professional football player I feel like you need to have strength, stamina, and ambition.
- Film study to learn coverages, plays, your opponent, from your mistakes and other mistakes.
- Practice to work on your craft and those things you are trying to fix or learn from film study and come up with new ideas/game plans.
3.) What do you worry about, and why?
- I worry about my family because they are in a different state than me and some may be struggling, and I just worry sometimes that I won’t be successful and be able to help them because God and me both know they deserve it. I also worry about my grades and school because I want to be academically successful.
4.) Give me an example of when you failed at something. How did you react and how did you overcome failure?
- I failed before trying to get a job. I reacted by emailing the company and asking them for any advice/feedback of anything that I needed to work on to become a better candidate. I overcame it by not giving up and let that one job stop me and I was going to apply to similar companies and learning as much as possible.
5.) What do your teammates say is your best quality?
A couple teammates said a couple things:
- speed, man to man, and leadership
- Physically- speed/height
Non-Physically- my intuition/decision making
- Defeating blocks with a quick jab step vs WR or OL and making the tackle
6.) Who is the best player you have ever played against in college?
- Sam Frasco
7.) What would your career be if you couldn’t play football?
- I would go into some sort of business career (consulting, marketing or managing)
8.) Room, desk and car – which do you clean first?
- Room. I hate a dirty room, desk, car, everything. I love to be so fresh and so clean.
9.) If there was a disaster and you could either save three strangers or one family member, which would you choose and why?
- Family member because family always comes first, right?
10.) If you could be any television or movie character, who would you be and why?
- Denzel Washington because he is some great movies with a great plot. I don’t think there is one movie that he is in, that I don’t like.
11.) Tell me about your biggest adversity in life and how you’ve dealt with or overcome it?
- My biggest adversity would have to be a little emotional adversity right now. Having all these scouts come to my practice and watching my film, I feel like I just have to be perfect and make no mistakes or else I’m done. I am dealing with it by training five days a week, studying film, and giving it 100% every day on every play and try not to think about that stuff.
12.) What is your most embarrassing moment?
- In middle school gym class, somebody d-pants coming back into the building waiting on someone to open the door, after we all were just playing outside in front of the whole class and I had on whitey tidies that day. Everybody laughed.
13.) What was the most memorable play of your collegiate career?
- My blocked field goal my freshman year that my best friend returned for a touchdown and that was the first time the school has beat that school in a long time. Or my 76-yard pick 6 my junior year running across the whole field back and forth through the whole defense.
14.) What song best describes your work ethic?
- YFN Lucci- Letter to Lucci
15.) What is the most important trait you can have (Physical or Non-Physical) to help you succeed at the next level?
- Determination is one of the most important traits you can have to help you succeed at the next level because football is strongly a mental game. Your mentality about the game and training strongly correlates to your performance.
16.) If you could bring one person back from the dead for one day, who would it be and why?
- My dad who pasted away in 2016. There is a lot of stuff he did not get to see that I am doing right now but I know he is watching over me and a lot of stuff I did not get to do with him that I regret.
17.) If you were to open a dance club, what would you name it?
- If I was successful, I would open up a club called Neon Thongs Strip Club.
18.) Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?
- Eli Manning
19.) Would you rather be liked or respected, and why?
- Respected. Anyone can be liked, but not everyone can be respected.
20.) What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?
- Dez Bryant. He is very tall, strong and used to be fast, but I feel like he is losing it because no one is signing him because of his attitude I guess.
21.) Do you love to win, or hate to lose?
- I hate to lose because I love to win.
22.) Who has been the biggest influence on your life and explain why?
- My mother because she is a strong woman who has raised 4 children by herself and continues to defeat odds.