2019 NFL Draft Diamonds Scouting Report by, Matt Anzio
- Player: Jerome Smith
- Position: DB
- School : Georgia State
- Height: 5’ 10
- Weight: 180 lbs
- Draft: 2019
- Projected Forty: 4.39
- Projected Round: 5-7
- Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia
- Jersey #16
Stat’s & News
- 38 Tackles, 1 INT, 1 TFL & 4 PBU
- Had 6 tackles vs South Alabama
- Integral Part of a GSU D that broke the record for holding opponents to avg of 24.75 points per game
- Had 2 important PBU & 7 tackles in a Bowl Game win vs Texas State
- Had a big INT in a Bowl game against WKU
- Contributed on a GSU D shutout vs Charolette had 3 tackles & a PBU
- Major contributor in a GSU Secondary that ranked 7th in the FBS
- 40 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 sack, 3 INT & a TD
- 40.2 pass rating against 3rd best in the Nation
- Part of a D that only allowed 4.9 yards per play.
- A Secondary that didn’t give up a play greater than 37 yds all year
- Played with a cast on against Ark St still had 7 tackles
- Had INT’s on first two possessions vs Ball St in Season opener
- 3rd down sack vs App St that led to a 52 yd FG missed attempt
- Career best 8 tackle & a PBU vs Idaho St
- Started CB as a redshirt Freshman
- 43 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1 sack, 1 INT 11 PBU
- His 11 PBU & lead the squad
- Had 7 tackles 2 PBU vs Ball State in a winning performance
- Help to hold South Alabama to 228 yds with 2 tackles & 2 PBU
- Had his first INT for GSU vs Troy
J.R. is a tough no nonsense explosive DB with the timing & execution to impress the big wigs.
A smart player and person,Jerome excels at what he puts his mind to a 3 year starter he is one of the best DB in Sunbelt history. Had a better completion percentage when thrown at , then Minkah Fitzpatrick in 2016.
Aggressive great jump on the ball recognizing run plays or pass he fully understands the game.
Ballhawk clockwork timing, precision diver always looking for the big play turnover or textbook tackle. Does not shy away from contact a strong tackles that plays a lot bigger than he is. great instincts going to make a play some way whether a tackle a INT or a sack or batting down passes.
Smith is always around , playing the ball and has shown consistency in the secondary since he was in High school.
He can strive inside or out but he fits the mold of a nickleback , a guy you can have in the game against the pass or run. Recognizes the run attacks explodes into the backfield to bring the RB to the turf. Savage tackler wrapping guys up like a sandwich with power along with fundamental technique. His speed, especially his closing speed is tops in his class. When he gets the ball in his hand he is a rocket flying down the field.
Whether in off or press coverages he possesses the burst to make a break on a ball and close openings in a hurry. Has the eye hand coordination terrific timing to be extremely effective on pass downs as well. Could also be a ST All Pro year one with eventual starting potential no later than year 2.
He has played all over the secondary at GSU inside out CB or safety . Great hustle on the backend of the D can rundown opponents from behind never gives up on a play great feel for the game reads & reacts very well in coverage. Much like his former teammate now with Eagles Chandon Sullivan he is a versatile DB that plays with the intensity & strategic hand placement drives & vertical ability to make him an early favorite of mine for the 2019 NFL Draft. He will be climbing up GM’s draft boards this spring because of his speed athletic ability & intelligence. Hard working young man with many Academic awards to his name.