NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: JaQuinton Alston-Thompson, DE, Tusculum College
- JaQuinton Alston-Thompson
- Tusculum College
- Twitter: @JaQuintonThomp1
- 22 Total Tackles – 6 TFL – 2 Sacks – 1 FF.
What is your name?
- My name is JaQuinton Thompson, but I am well known as JQ.
Where do you play College Football?
- I attend Tusculum University in Greeneville, TN.
What position do you play?
- I play Defensive End.
What is your height/weight?
- My height is 6’3” and I weigh 255 lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Of course! Basketball and I ran Cross Country for a year.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- It would have to be Billy Munker former Tusculum Offensive Lineman. The man had a grip like a gorilla, and as gave 120% in games, practice, film. He was a one of a kind athlete.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Yes, but it’s a mix between motivational speeches and music. The speeches by Eric Thomas and Inky Johnson are my favorite because I can relate to what they say. And for music the award goes to Boosie and Webbie they just ruthless, and that’s my mentality on the field.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- Not really superstitions, but nights before the game I visualize plays in my dream that happen in the game, and this is NO JOKE.
Who is your role model?
- I am going to have to go with my aunt Latashia Thompson, and this is because if she pushed herself any more there would be two of her. My aunt, brother, sister and myself in at a young age and been by our side ever since she a trooper to say the least.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class while at Tusculum would have to be service learning, because we got to go to nursing homes and sit with the elderly. My least favorite class would have to have been English because we had to type so many essays.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- My time in College outside football? Probably all the relationships, and people I got to network with my time here. If any future athletes reading this I would tell them to cherish the relationships along this journey.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- My favorite team was and still is the Pittsburgh Steelers because that black and gold go so good together, and because they had “The Bus”, “Big Ben”, and Troy Polamalu. My favorite player in the NFL would easily be Nick Fairley because he is my big cousin, and I see person how hard he has work to get to that position and be awarded so many trophies in College.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- I am going with the movie Juice, and I would be Q. I would choose to be Q because he was a guy with a vision and knew he could reach it if he stayed focused. Although, he had friends who influenced him in negative ways he still managed to make it out.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- First on my list is Warren Buffett because he is the world’s best investor and I am an entrepreneur, so I am sure he could give advice and pointers on how to reach wealth. Next would be Steve Harvey the guy came from terrible circumstances to be a TV host, so I am sure he could give me and speech on how to strive for my dreams no matter what. Lastly, I would pick a homeless person because I am sure they would enjoy a good dinner and possibly even give me advice how not to end up in their situation.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- I would choose Muhammad Ali, and this is because the they had a class for trash talking he would be the professor, but not only did he talk grade A smack, but he backed it up.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- WAKANDA question is this lol, I am going with Black Panther I love the movies and his outfit were SICK.
What is your definition of hard work?
- My definition of hard work is doing what you got to do on the scene and behind the scene. On the field and in the weight room of course you got to work hard in front of people, but in your free time you must watch film, study your opponent, and critique your own work.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- An unexpected lesson I learned in life will throw you a curve-ball while you are at the top and make you start from the bottom just to test your character.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- One thing I would tell myself is keep going to all adversity because your dreams are closer than they appear.
Why do you wear #98?
- Nick Fairley wears it and he is a player I look up too. That’s only one reason I have 97 more.
What is the best part of your hometown, Marietta, GA?
- Originally, I am from Mobile, AL I moved to Marietta, GA in middle school. Mobile has the best seafood, and Marietta you can find whatever you want to eat in a 5-mile radius.
Who do you choose, Jordan or LeBron?
- You wanted me to say the “Kobe did it!” I am a Kobe Bryant fan through and through I’m sorry I had to butcher the question haha.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- I am a PS4 guy, and a game I was into for a while was Battlefield 1.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student athlete?
- Most memorable moment was when we had a high school gathering and the principal awarded me the leadership award. The entire gym gave a thundering applause it felt good.
If you could have three wishes granted, what would they be?
- First wish would be play in the NFL been wishing that that since a kid. My next wish would be to win a Super Bowl I would probably Michael Jordan the trophy. My last wish would be to become the first D2 player to get inducted into the Hall of Fame.
What is your hidden talent?
- My hidden talent would have to be training dogs. I used to want to be a VET.
If there is a book written about JaQuinton Alston-Thompson, what is the title?
- Big Fish, Small Pond. I picked this title because I signed to a Division 2 school, so it is small and the only way to get noticed is by being the big fish.
What are three things on your “Bucket List?”
- Three on my bucket list hmm first I would have to go with being signed to a Football League, Next would be speak to a crowd with 500+ people, and the last thing be launch a successful app the gets 1 million plus downloads.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- Come on now we only get 24 hours in a day haha, I assure you I do not have time to binge watch any shows. Although there is one show I do keep up it “Stranger Things” great series.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- Honestly, I would either watch film or read a book.
If you could sack any NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Tom Brady. I would have to pick him because he is the G.O.A.T, and I would have to talk smack after.
What are the goals for 2018, both individually & for the Tusculum football team?
- My individual goal is to finish the season on a high note and get recognition from the conference and D2, so the I can get a shot at the big bowl games. My team goal would like I tell my guys “SEE A RING ON YOUR FINGER AND ME HOLDING THE TROPHY.”
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in JaQuinton Alston-Thompson, what would they be?
- Three words I would give in NFL is simple “Check The Tape” and I will let them decided. Hopefully the see what kind of player they are getting and call me on during the 2019 Draft.