- Zach Bassuener
- University of Minnesota Duluth
What is your name?
- Zach Bassuener.
Where do you play College Football?
- University of Minnesota Duluth.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’0″ 230lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Swimming, Soccer, Basketball.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- My teammate Peter Bateman. I had to compete against him a lot in practice. His initial strike gave a lot of players problems. He was the best Offensive Tackle I’ve played with and is a guy that helped me become an elite pass rusher.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Yes, I like to listen to a lot of different genres of music, but right before I leave the locker room I like to listen to the song Get Big by Dorrough.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- For home games I like to walk a mile around the field to clear my head and visualize the game. Before every game and during the National Anthem I always say a prayer.
Who is your role model & why?
- Both of my parents. They both are extremely hard workers. They stand up for what they believe in. They support my 3 brothers and myself in everything that we do. I hope I can one day give my family what they have given to me.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- Favorite class was Leadership Management.
- Least favorite class was Principles of Accounting.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Going to Park Point in Duluth during the Summer relaxing/playing beach volleyball.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- Favorite team- Green Bay Packers. Being from Wisconsin I’ve watched and followed this team for as long as I can remember.
- Favorite Player- Von Miller. He is fun to watch. His get off is incredible and he has fun with the game.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- Tommy Boy and I would like to Play Richard.
If you could have dinner with three (3) people, dead or alive, who are they?
- My Great Grandma Rosemary, Jennifer Aniston, and Dwight Schrute (Rainn Wilson)
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- Jesus. Have a lot of questions that I would love to ask him.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Spider-Man. I like his powers. Flying around on webs and shooting them from your hands would be pretty fun!
What is your definition of hard work?
- Hard work is doing the extra little things that others complain about or don’t want to do. It’s pushing past the point where you think you can go anymore. I would define hard work as the formula to most if not all of my success.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- Don’t be afraid to fail and put yourself out there. Failure is only a problem when you don’t learn from your failures and start making it a habit.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Live in the present. Enjoy and soak up all of these days. Life goes by fast so take time out of the day to reflect, enjoy the moments and people around you.
Why do you wear #32?
- Just the number that I was given when I got to college.
You were named a Team Captain for the 2017 season, how did that make you feel?
- Being named Team Captain in my eyes was the biggest honor I received at UMD. It was a goal of mine coming into college and being voted by my teammates to lead one of the best programs in Division 2 football was a blessing.
You arrived on campus as a 190lb. DB, what was the toughest part in transitioning to LB?
- Playing on the line of scrimmage when I was use to playing 10 yards deep with no one around me.
What is the best part of your hometown, Wisconsin Rapids, WI?
- Best part of Wisconsin Rapids is how close everyone in the town is. Coming home from college and catching up with friends and people who have been a big part in my life growing up is always nice.
Who do you choose, Jordan or LeBron?
- LeBron is a way better athlete. Jordan is the better basketball player.
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Neither. If I am playing any games it’s Mario Kart on the GameCube or Super Smash Bros on the Nintendo 64.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete at the University of Minnesota Duluth?
- The most memorable moments for me as a student-athlete was all the freshman competitions that we did every Friday my redshirt year. The workouts were extremely challenging and competitive. When you go through challenges like that you become close with your teammates in your class. It created a bond that can’t be broke.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- Yes, Grey’s Anatomy.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- Working out with pass rush specialist Chuck Smith.
You were an Organizational Management, what made you pursue that subject?
- Organizational Management prepares and gives you all of the qualities you need to manage and run a business which is what I would like to do one day.
If you could sack any NFL QB, past or present, who would it be & why?
- Tom Brady. He’s is arguably the best QB to play the game and there would be no better feeling than frustrating a player of that caliber.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Zach Bassuener, what would they be?
- Relentless, Passionate, and Committed.