- Yianni Gavalas
- LIU Post
What is your name?
- Yianni Gavalas.
Where did you play College Football?
- LIU Post and Saint Anselm College.
What position do you play?
What is your height/weight?
- 6’2” 225lbs.
Did you play any other sports growing up? If so, what were they?
- Yes, I played basketball.
Who is the toughest player you have competed against in College?
- Daquan Holmes from American International College.
Are you listening to music before a game? If so, what?
- Yes, I listen to Frank Sinatra and Eminem.
Do you have any superstitions before a game? If so, what are they?
- No superstitions in particular. I guess I get dressed the same way before every game.
Who is your role model & why?
- My father is my role model because he taught me how to work hard. He is very selfless and puts the needs of our family before his own.
While in College, what has been your favorite & least favorite class?
- My favorite class was graphic design. My least favorite class was humanities.
Outside of Football, what has been your favorite experience while in College?
- Making friends that will last a lifetime.
Growing up, who was your favorite NFL Team & NFL player, & why?
- My favorite NFL team is the Steelers because my dad brought me up a Steelers fan. My favorite player is Drew Brees. Off the field he is a great person. On the field he is one of the most accurate quarterbacks of all time and I think my accuracy is my best attribute.
If you could be in any movie of your choice, what would it be & what character would you play?
- I would choose The Last Samurai and play Tom Cruise’s character.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who are they?
- Frank Sinatra, David Goggins and Mark Wahlberg.
If you could meet any historical figure, who would you choose & why?
- George Washington because he was a great leader that went against a tyrant.
Who is your favorite superhero & why?
- Aquaman because I love the ocean.
What is your definition of hard work?
- Devoting all of your time to a single craft or goal.
What is the most unexpected lesson you learned while in College?
- You should never burn any bridges. You never know when someone you met can help you down the road in life.
What is something you wish you could go back & tell yourself as a High School Freshman?
- Be yourself more and don’t care what other people think.
Why do you wear #7?
- I wore number 14 at Saint Anselm because it was given to me as a freshman. I stuck with it throughout my four years there, but when I got to post I found out it was retired and had to switch to 7. I also wore 7 when I was younger because I was a big Mike Vick fan.
What is the best part of your hometown, Manhasset, N.Y.?
- Gino’s Pizzeria.
Who do you choose, Jordan or LeBron?
Are you a PS4 or Xbox One guy? What games are you playing right now?
- Not a big gamer but I own an Xbox. My roommates and I played a good amount of Madden and 2K.
What has been your most memorable moment as a student-athlete?
- My sophomore year we won a big game at home and the whole school rushed the field after the clock ran out.
Are you binge watching anything on Netflix or Hulu right now?
- The last show I watched on Netflix was Seven Seconds.
If you had one free hour each day, how would you choose to use it?
- I would go fishing.
During the transfer process from Saint Anselm, what made you choose LIU Post as your destination?
- Saint Anselm doesn’t have grad school and I needed a place to play my last year of eligibility where I could also pursue my graduate studies. LIU Post is fifteen minutes from my house and I thought it would be cool for my family and friends to see me play.
You majored in Communication at Saint Anselm College & pursued a master’s degree in Nursing at LIU Post. What made you follow those subjects?
- It’s funny, for some reason the people at LIU Post wrote that I am a nursing major but I’m actually going for a Master’s of Business Administration. I chose communication because it is very broad and would allow me to pursue many different jobs after I graduated.
If you could throw a TD to one NFL WR/TE, past or present, who would it be & why?
- I would throw a TD to Larry Fitzgerald because he has some of the surest hands in NFL history.
If you could give NFL scouts three words to describe the type of man they are getting in Yianni Gavalas, what would they be?
- Driven, Adaptable, Persistent.