NFL Draft Diamonds has been bringing our readers Prospect Interviews over the past 3 years and this year we mixed up the questions and added some fun questions for our readers. Our questions are designed to give our readers a little more insight into the player. We hope to bring you more than 350 interviews of NFL Draft Prospects this season. You will be able to track them all on the front page of our website in the banner to the right. Now let’s meet the prospect!!!!
What is your name?
- Austin Ekeler
What is your Height/Weight?
- 5’8″ 195
What is your position?
- Running back
Where do you play college football?
- Western State Colorado University
Football is about giving back, what is the coolest thing you have done off the field?
- I’ve talked to and signed autographs for a little league team in the community. It’s neat to be able to do that for the young guys that look up to us college football players.
What was the hardest college class you ever had to take?
- Water Law
Where are you from?
- Eaton, Colorado
Who is your role model, and why?
- My mother. She is the hardest worker I know. She is a single mother for me and my brother, and she does an amazing job taking care of us.
Did you play any other sports growing up?
- Basketball, Track, Baseball
Did you play any other positions in football?
- I’ve done punt and kickoff returns.
At your position, what separates you from others?
- I am able to consistently make plays, whether it be due to my speed, vision, power, or elusiveness I am able to get the job done.
When you are breaking down film, what do you look for
- The things I look for in film are any tendencies that defenders might have that might give away their scheme. I also watch to see how defenders react to run and pass, so I can have a pre-snap read of how the defense might play.
Who was the toughest player you ever faced?
- Morgan Fox is the toughest player I’ve ever faced. He played Defensive end. Our O-line had a rough day trying to block him, and I paid for it.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be and why?
- I would compare myself to Ameer Abdullah. We have a very similar playstyle when it comes to vision, burst, and elusiveness.
What was the biggest obstacle in your life you had to overcome, and how did you overcome?
- The biggest obstacle in my life that I have had to overcome would probably be tearing my shoulder. It was my first major injury, and it took me away from the things I love for six months. I was able to overcome this injury because of my drive to be great. I understand that life can get you down. It is my mindset to overcome and learn from life’s challenges that get me through.
Do you have any pre-game rituals?
- I do not.
What is your biggest strength?
- My passion to be the best.
What is your biggest weakness?
- My biggest weakness is not getting out of my comfort zone. I tend to get pretty comfortable with the things I’m doing and that sometimes causes me to not try new things.
If I were a GM and gave you a second to sell yourself, what would you say?
- If you’re looking for a talented player that works his tail off that you can count on to make an impact on the team, then I’m your man.
Who was your favorite player and/or NFL team growing up?
- Growing up in Colorado the Broncos were my favorite team going up.
If you could have dinner with three people dead or alive, who would you choose?
- Dan Bilzerian, Rick Ross, Kevin Hart
What will be the first big item you buy once you are in the NFL?
- Not really sure, but probably a new truck.
- Who is Better: Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?
- Who will win the Super Bowl this year? Patriots
- Who is Better : Barry Sanders or Emmitt Smith?
- Who will win MVP in NFL? Tom Brady