When Colin Kaepernick’s agent negotiated his deal, they made sure to throw a pretty nice wrench into the contract. That wrench was an injury clause.
You have probably been reading that Colin Kaepernick still could play this week, and hear Chip Kelly being asked about his contract, but ask yourself why. Well let me explain it a little bit.
The 49ers are trying to restructure the contract of Kaepernick because if he is injured in a game this year, his base salary of 14.9 million dollars is fully guaranteed. So what the 49ers are trying to do is restructure his contract to avoid paying him and allowing him to play. Until that happens it will be interesting to see what the 49ers will do with him.
Right now people are probably thinking that the 49ers are not playing him because of his antics off the field, but it is much more than that. It is the money, that is why he is not already starting. The 49ers want him to sign a restructured deal that would make him a free agent at the end of the year, wiping out the next four years of his contract. It would also take out the injury clause, which would allow him to play against the Bills this weekend with the 49ers off the hook.
If he does play and the Bills get to him like they have been getting to every quarterback this year, the risk of getting injured rises. The 49ers do not want that hanging over their head, and that is why there has been rumors out of the locker room (So to speak), that the team has interest in Christian Ponder starting over Kaepernick. It is not because he is better, but rather they do not want to pay him the money. So unless Kaepernick’s deal is restructured soon, I would expect Blaine Gabbert at quarterback this weekend.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Last Chance:NFL Draft Diamonds Free Agent Interview: Mario Flores, Wide Receiver nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/mario-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 15 mins ago
- Best Turkey Day Play Ever! When I knew Josh Allen was my QB twitter.com/mikerotolo35/s…
about 16 mins ago
- This was said! Per my source too twitter.com/adamschefter/s…
about 18 mins ago
- Damn..... twitter.com/adamschefter/s…
about 21 mins ago
- Last Chance:Turkey Day Picks, Predictions, and Fantasy Sleepers nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/turkey… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/CMlWo6kgJW
about 53 mins ago