By: Kevin Tame @Kevin_TameRaise your hand if you are sick of the constant rumors on Aaron Dobson. Considering Dobson’s career since the Patriots took him No. 59 overall in the 2013 NFL Draft has been spotty, it seems like every year he finds himself in the conversation of whether or not he makes the team.
Dobson was drafted in the second round in 2013. He was drafted before guys like Eddie Lacey, Travis Kelce, Keenan Allen, and Jordan Reed. To Dobson’s credit, he did finish his rookie season with 37 catches and four touchdowns.
Life has been tough for Dobson since his rookie season. He ended up on the injured reserve list at the end of the 2014 and 2015 season. For a guy with his skill set and who has shown promise, Dobson has only appeared in 12 games the past two seasons, totaling 16 catches for 179 yards and zero touchdowns. It seems unbelievable that Dobson has failed to find the end zone considering Tom Brady threw for 25 touchdown passes in 2013, 33 touchdown passes in 2014, and 36 touchdown passes in 2015.
The Patriots’ roster has to be trimmed down to 53 players by 4:00 on Saturday September 3rd. Dobson hasn’t proven to be worth his second round price tag thus far. However, just when you think he’s seen his last days in a Patriots uniform, he flashes some potential. Dobson’s biggest issue has been inconsistency. Eventually his luck is going to run out and Dobson is going to have to step up.
The latest reports have New England in the process of trying to trade Dobson. There isn’t likely much of a trade market at the moment for Dobson. If the Patriots can find a trade partner for Dobson, look for them to pick up a running back in return. With Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Chris Hogan, and Malcolm Mitchell essentially locked into roster spots, Dobson is likely battling it out with Keshawn Martin and Chris Harper to make the team. Tonight’s last preseason game is important for Dobson because the Patriots are not keeping all those receivers on the active roster. It is also important to keep in mind that Malcolm Mitchell is expected to return for the regular season. I have been on the cut Dobson band wagon all summer, and I still think if the Patriots cannot find a trade in the coming week it would not be surprising to see Aaron Dobson finally let go.
NFL Draft Diamonds
- ICYMI:Raiders make the absolute right call by sending their scouts home nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/04/raider… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/uqEcKl7BF2
about 34 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Former Liberty/Charleston DB Chris Turner has been getting blown up since running a 4.55 forty. The Falcons and Do… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 43 mins ago via Twitter for iPhone
- Mets Send Jacob deGrom Back to New York for an MRI on His Elbow bit.ly/2PmWP4W
about 1 hour ago via IFTTT
- ICYMI:If New York Giants take Daniel Jones at 6 overall would you be shocked? nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/04/daniel… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- I am hearing Notre Dame Punter Tyler Newsome has been blowing up. One team in particular has called him three time… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone