High School Football Player suffers flesh eating disease from dirty equipment?
Could you imagine your child coming home and telling you his hand hurts? When you look at it his skin is being eaten like a rat is nibbling away at his skin? Well that recently happened in California when Matt Gonzales’ left hand suffered a severe wound from a flesh-eating bacteria. Many believe he caught it during football practice, from dirty equipment.
“This is why we need to keep our equipment clean, this is why people need to wash their hands.”
“Just imagine a little red dot on your finger, that was just about it.”
Within 36 hours Gonzales dreams of playing his freshman for El Diamante were over. He was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis and the cause, according to Valley Children’s Hospital, was a Strep-a infection. It was eating away at his dominant left hand and getting into his blood.