The Philadelphia Eagles gave up quite a bit to trade up and land North Dakota State University quarterback Carson Wentz, but they are playing the odds. There are some very good odds around the NFL when you look at small school quarterbacks taken in the first round.
Since 1979 five quarterbacks have been drafted in the first round who did not play in the FBS. Those players were Phil Simms (Morehead State), Ken O’Brien (UC Davis), Steve McNair (Alcorn State), Joe Flacco (Delaware) and Carson Wentz (NDSU).
Of those players drafted only four have played so far. Out of the four that have played 3 of them have made it to the Super Bowl. Steve McNair led the Tennessee Titans to the Super Bowl after the Music City Miracle in 1999. Joe Flacco not only won the Super Bowl in 2012, he was named Super Bowl MVP, and Phil Simms won 2 Super Bowls and was named MVP of one of them.
Ken O’Brien was the only one that did not win a Super Bowl or make it. While he did not make it to the Super Bowl he did lead the Jets to the playoffs three times during his prime.
So what will Carson Wentz have up his sleeve in the NFL? I would say this much, I like his odds. He has a 75 percent chance of making a Super Bowl, and a 100 percent chance he will lead his team to the playoffs. Remember the name folks, he is special.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- ICYMI:Predicting a Trade: Texans trade DE J.J. Watt to the Steelers for WR JuJu Smith Schuster and a pick… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 6 mins ago
- ICYMI:Predicting a Trade: Rams trade TE Gerald Everett to the Patriots for a 5th round pick nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/gerald…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 23 mins ago
- Sam Darnold is Not the Problem ift.tt/3dQNlew
about 35 mins ago
- NFL Transactions for October 22, 2020; Daily Workouts, Signings, and Roster Cuts nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/nfl-tr… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 37 mins ago
- ICYMI:Predicting a Trade: Bills send a 4th round pick to the Chargers for DE Melvin Ingram nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/melvin…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 39 mins ago