2016 NFL Draft Scouting Notes: Jared Goff, QB, California
Over the course of the next few weeks I will be giving you my scouting notes for some of the top rated prospects for next year’s NFL draft. These notes are based off from last year’s film, and will precede the full scouting report which will come after I watch film from the upcoming season. Tonight’s notes are on Jared Goff out of The university of California.
Jared Goff. QB 6’4 210 lbs CalIfornia
Jared Goff is an interesting prospect. A junior this year, there is no guarantee he will enter the draft, but right now he would be my personal favorite QB in the draft. Here are my notes.
1) At 6’4 210 lbs he possesses ideal size for an NFL QB
2) Very sound fundamentaly, sets feet and squares hips almost every play
3) Above average accuracy, due to the above strong fundamentals
4) Very good arm strength
5) Good mobility for his size, can escape pressures and make a play with his legs
6) Very good ball placement (meaning he leads his receivers so they can get run after the catch, or RAC yards)
7) Possesses the ability to stand tall in the pocket when pressured and still make an accurate throw.
1) Due to the offensive system he plays in, he pays almost exclusively in the shotgun formation. NFL will require him to play under center at least some of the time.
2) Has a lot of trust in his arm, and sometimes takes chances with the ball, which can lead to interceptons.
As you can see, my positives list is much longer than my negatives. If he continues to play well this season, he may be a very high draft pick. I think this kid could develop into a special player if put in the right situation.