2016 NFL Draft Scouting Notes: Gunner Kiel, QB, Cincinnati
Over the course of the next few weeks I will be giving you my scouting notes for some of the top rated prospects for next year’s NFL draft. These notes are based off from last year’s film, and will precede the full scouting report which will come after I watch film from the upcoming season. Tonight’s notes are on Gunner Kiel out of Cincinnati.
Gunner Kiel – QB – 6’4 208 lbs – Cincinnati
Gunner Kiel is one of my favorite prospects at this point. He started his college career at Notre Dame, but after being 3rd on the depth chart he decided to transfer to Cincinnati. In his first game with Cincinnati, he threw for 6 touchdowns. Here are my notes:
1) Has NFL size. 6’4 208 lbs
2) Has a very strong arm
3) Above average accuracy
4) Good fundamentals (he squares his hips, steps into throws)
5) He is Fairly mobile, with the ability to gain yards with his legs
6) He goes through his progressions, preferring to make the play with his arm over his legs.
1) As is the case with many college systems, he plays almost exclusively from the shotgun
2) “Gunslinger” mentality, at time taking chances that can lead to interceptions.
Gunner Kiel has all the tools necessary to be a franchise QB, and he is far ahead of most of his peers as far as fundamentals are concerned. With one more season under his belt, this Kid could become a special player, and may be a very high draft pick.