2016 NFL Draft Scouting Notes: Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State University
Over the course of the next few weeks I will be giving you my scouting notes for some of the top rated prospects for next year’s NFL draft. These notes are based off from last year’s film, and will precede the full scouting report which will come after I watch film from the upcoming season. Tonight’s notes are on QB Cardale Jones out of Ohio State. Cardale Jones is a fan favorite, and why wouldn’t he be? He did after all lead Ohio St to 3 impressive wins on college football’s biggest stage, here are my notes:
Cardale Jones. QB 6’5 250 lbs Ohio St
1) At 6’5 250 lbs, he possesses great NFL size
2) Has a strong arm
3) Very good running ability, and escape ability
4) Good ability to throw on the run
5) Does show flashes of brilliance
1) Jones is fundamentally inconsistent, doesn’t always square his hips, or step into his throw.
2) Accuracy is also very inconsistent (which is usually caused by his fudamentals), at times is very good, other times misses wide open players
3) Throws flatfooted at times
4) Leans on his ability to run too often instead of going through his progressions
5) Has somewhat of a slow release, which can allow defenders time to reach him.
Cardale Jones has very little playing experience at this point, and there is no guarantee he will even be the Ohio St starter this year according to the team. This lack of experience means he can improve his inconsistent fundamentals and accuracy with more experience and coaching, of course he could go the other way as well and either stay inconsistent or get worse. Jones will be one of the most interesting players to watch develop this season, he could go either way, be a 1st pick overall caliber type player, or a mid round developmental type player.