Pittsburgh Steelers starting safety Troy Polamalu has hung up his spikes after 12 years. He was expected to get cut, so this is not a shocker.
I did not seriously consider playing elsewhere. It was just whether or not I wanted to play. I had talked to a lot of people about what I should do with my situation, and what they kept saying back to me, and which was not a sufficient reason, was ‘Troy, you played 12 years in the NFL, you won Super Bowls, won individual awards. There’s nothing left to prove. You have a legacy.’ And I just kept saying, ‘First of all, I don’t care about a legacy. Second of all, I play the game because I enjoy it.’ That’s the reason to keep playing.
What it came down to was definitely family. If I’m in my fourth year, fifth year, even if I’m in my 10th year, I’m playing in Alaska. But when I started this process and started to debate whether I should come back or should I play, that was kind of the sign for me to say ‘Whoa, if you’re just even debating it maybe you shouldn’t play anymore,’ because what I do know about this game is it takes a lot, a lot, of commitment just to be an average player.
Polamalu, 33, called Steelers owner Dan Rooney Thursday evening to inform him of his retirement.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Deshaun Watson’s attorney claims at least five of the accusers performed massages after their sexual misconduct inc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 4 mins ago
- ICYMI:If you are an athlete, and you ache, you need an EXOGUN! | Exogun DreamPro Scouting Report and Product Review… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 7 mins ago
- Guess what NFL player is currently wanted for a battery in Louisiana? If you guessed newly signed Seahawk Aldon Smi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 40 mins ago
- Powerful! twitter.com/snehaliciouss/…
about 50 mins ago
- Notre Dame OLB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is the next Phenomenal Coverage Linebacker says former NFL scout… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 50 mins ago