Today ESPN.com’s Kevin Siefert came up with a pretty awesome statistic showing the breakdown of the Denver Broncos and the New England Patriots salary cap situation. The Broncos have a lot of money tied up in several players, while the Patriots are the league’s most conservative team. The Patriots have tons of money, but could they build a team like the Broncos in the coming years?
- The 2014 AFC race will serve as a referendum on both the Broncos’ aggressiveness and the Patriots’ patience (or stubbornness, depending upon your point of view). The most visible difference: The Broncos’ $124 million cash payroll this season is 20 percent higher than the Patriots’ league-low of $98 million, according to ESPN Stats ∓ Information resources.
- The Patriots paid Brady a $30 million signing bonus in 2013 (that counted on the 2012 fiscal year) in exchange for low base salaries in subsequent seasons in order to create more cap space to surround him with talented players. However, they have not used the extra cash flow that deal created — even after taking into account the 2014 free-agent signing of cornerback Darrelle Revis.
- The Broncos’ top 10 most expensive players take up 62 percent of their salary cap, a mark that is the fourth-highest in the NFL. The Patriots’ top 10, meanwhile, make up 55 percent of the cap, the 25th-highest mark in the league. That’s an indication that Denver’s roster is more top heavy than New England’s.
Which team do you feel will make the biggest impact next year?
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- That is the first step, it is already damn near impossible to find 9mm ammo twitter.com/wsj/status/132…
about 32 mins ago
- Last Chance:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Sebastian Gutierrez, OL, Minot State University… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 41 mins ago
- Did You See This:College Gridiron Showcase Director of Scouting Mike Rittelman sits down with Draft Diamonds… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 54 mins ago
- Did You See This:Fantasy Doctors: Calvin Ridley injury update, Initial Thoughts on his foot injury… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 2 hours ago
- Did You See This:Clemson rookie QB Trevor Lawrence tests positive for COVID-19 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/10/trevor… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 3 hours ago