Year after year, college football recruits all across the nation are transferring to new schools because it just isn’t working out where they originally committed-often with great fanfare just 12 months earlier. 180 players transferred to other schools and that’s just who is eligible to play this upcoming season. Now, I know players go to schools for different reasons but most have the same goal; make it to the league. If there is one thing that I have noticed in following the draft like I have for the last decade it’s this: if you’re good, they will find you. Joe Flacco, Delaware, Mike Iupati, Idaho, Eric Fisher, Central Michigan and the list goes on.
There is nothing more that I hate to see, than a talented kid make the wrong choice because a high powered school flew in on a helicopter and threw an offer to him at the last second before National Signing Day. Luke Del Rio the son of Coach and former player Jack Del Rio, was a solid rated QB recruit coming out of high school (3 star) who was being recruited and offered scholarships by the likes of Oregon State, UCLA, and Oklahoma state, but he decided to walk on at Alabama. Now after realizing the “writing on the wall” he chose to leave Alabama and go to Oregon State who had initially recruited him but a year behind. Five star QB Gunner Kiel who originally committed to his home state of Indiana flipped to LSU, then Notre Dame then ultimately ended up at Cincinnati, where he is competing for the starting job.
The message I want people, especially recruits, to take away is this: don’t be afraid to make a name somewhere and, don’t be scared of losing records. Maybe I am just a fan of the underdog story, but it is a better read then seeing players who have a goal and a dream get dashed because of some fancy locker rooms, winning traditions and big bank accounts of boosters. If the ultimate goal is “making the league” the league will find you whether you play for Alabama or the University of Massachusetts.
Richard Gerber a guest writer posted this amazing piece to let football players know that regardless of the school if you can play, NFL teams will find you. Follow Richard on twitter @RichardGerber03
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Last Chance:Report: Deion Sanders will be the next head football coach at Jackson State University!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 33 mins ago
- Last Chance:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Devante Turner, RB/KR, Central Missouri nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/devant… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 40 mins ago
- Last Chance:The Most Underrated Waiver Wire Pickup in Week 2 of Fantasy Football nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/most-u… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 57 mins ago
- Last Chance:XFL Defensive Rankings after Week 3, BattleHawks are the top team nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/02/xfl-de… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago
- Last Chance:Maurkice Pouncey regrets wearing Antwon Rose’s name on the back of his helmet nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/maurki…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 1 hour ago