Since last week’s big fiasco with Donald Sterling in the NBA, I thought it would be interesting to dig into the NFL and find out a little more about the “Race” aspect in the NFL. While I think Donald Sterling is a joke, I thought it would be amazing to see how far the minorities have came since every major sport was once considered segregated.
This is NFL Draft Diamonds, DID YOU KNOW section based on 2012/2013 NFL Statistics.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars became the first NFL franchise to have a majority owner of color. Shahid Khan, a Pakistani-born American businessman, finalized his stake in ownership on January 4, 2012.
- Nine out of the last 15 Super Bowl teams have had either an African-American head coach or general manager. The coaches were Tony Dungy (Colts), Lovie Smith (Bears), Mike Tomlin (Steelers, twice) and Jim Caldwell (Colts). The GMs were Jerry Reese (Giants, twice), Rod Graves (Cardinals) and Ozzie Newsome (Ravens).
- There were six African-American general managers in both 2012 and 2013. This marks seven consecutive years with at least five general managers that are people of color. Ozzie Newsome became the second African-American general manager to win a Super Bowl when the Baltimore Ravens won in 2013.
- Three of the 12 teams making the 2012-13 playoffs had either an African-American coach or general manager. The two coaches were Marvin Lewis and Ron Rivera, and the Detroit Lions had general manager Martin Mayhew.
- In the League Office, as a result of both hiring and promotions, the total number of women and people of color at or above the vice president level has continued to increase including an 11 percent gain from 2012 to 2013. The number of women at or above the VP level increased by 18 percent, from 17 in 2012 to 20 in 2013 while the number of ethnically diverse employees at or above the VP level increased by eight percent, from 13 in 2012 to 14 in 2013.
- There were six African-American general managers in both 2012 and 2013. This marks seven consecutive years with at least five general managers that are people of color.
- The percentage of African-American players decreased to 66.3 percent in 2013 from 66.6 percent during the 2012 season. The percentage of whites in 2013 decreased to 30.1 percent from 31 percent in 2012. Latinos, Asian, “other” and international players were 0.7 percent, 1.1 percent, 1.8 percent and 1.4 percent, respectively.
- Fritz Pollard and Bobby Marshall were the first black players in what is now the NFL in 1920. Pollard became the first black coach in 1921. 1927 through 1933.
- Ignacio Saturnino “Lou” Molinet, Halfback, Cornell University, 1927 Frankford Yellowjackets, was the first Latino to play football, but the Green Bay Packers were the first team to have a Hispanic on their team with Waldo Don Carlos a center from Drake University. He joined the team in 1931.
- Walter Achiu wasthe first Chinese NFL player (1927-8 Dayton Triangles)
I just thought it would be important to give some interesting information concerning the growth of the best sport in the world.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:Trenchmen’s Corner| Daviyon Nixon Scouting Report | Former CFL scout Dave Van Nett breaks down his… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 44 mins ago
- Did You See This:Alabama RB Najee Harris | 2021 NFL Draft Injury Review | Doctor’s Take nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/04/najee-…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 45 mins ago
- Did You See This:Notre Dame OLB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is the next Phenomenal Coverage Linebacker says former NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 48 mins ago
- Did You See This:Trenchmen’s Corner| Christian Barmore Scouting Report | Former CFL scout Dave Van Nett breaks down… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 49 mins ago
- Did You See This:Trey Lance’s two pro days mean nothing | Former NFL scout says he is a bust waiting to happen… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 50 mins ago