Time is not on the 49ers side, when it comes to exercising the option for Aldon Smith, but it looks like the sky might be a little brighter for the former Missouri linebacker who was recently arrested.
Reports leaked quickly after Smith’s arrest for the alleged bomb threat that San Francisco was unlikely to pick up the near $10 million dollar option, but that doesn’t appear to be the case, according to CBS’ Jason La Canfora.
“The 49ers decision on Aldon Smith, given his extensive off-field issues, will be watched closely,” writes La Canfora, “with several league sources anticipating [ultimately] San Francisco will exercise that option for 2015.”
While Smith has these pending cases, the 49ers have until Saturday to make a football decision on Smith. That is the deadline for NFL teams to decide whether to give a fifth-year option for the 2015 season for players who were drafted in the first round in 2011. The option on Smith is $9.75 million.
If they don’t exercise the option, but decide later that they’d want Smith back in 2015, the 49ers would have to give him a long-term deal or apply the franchise tag on him, which would likely be in the $12 million-$13 million range. If not, he will be a free agent in 2014.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Boy this is humble pie twitter.com/gtmbb/status/1…
about 11 mins ago
- Hey y’all make sure you follow our team at @DraftDiamonds
@JonM_Salter @jrberendzen @NflHeads2020… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 13 mins ago
- Last Chance:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Branden Hohenstein, TE, Abilene Christian nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/08/brande…… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 45 mins ago
- Last Chance:Fantasy Doctors: Friday Night NFL Injury Report for Week 12 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/11/week-1… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/TAmP2QALoE
about 2 hours ago
- Last Chance:Vanderbilt’s kicker this week will be Sarah Fuller! The first woman to participate in a Power 5 footbal… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 3 hours ago