Today, Boston Herald writer Jeff Howe was asked about the Patriots using the franchise tag on Aqib Talib and he was very quick to shut down that notion.
There’s no chance the Patriots hit Talib with a franchise tag that will approach $12 million, though he’d be happy to play out the season under that exorbitant price. There’s no denying they want him back, and look at Bill Belichick’s public defense of Talib after the AFC Championship Game loss as an example. Talib will likely take a hometown discount if it’s close, but not if he perceives the Pats as low-balling him. If the Pats want him at three years and $21 million and Talib wants four years and $32 million, look for a compromise of three years, games-played incentives worth an extra $2 million and All-Pro incentives that help the deal approach about $25 million, so long as the cornerback market doesn’t unexpectedly tank like last year.
It sounds likely that Talib will be in a Patriot uniform next year but it will be interesting to see if he does in fact try out the market.
Follow Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Brian O’Neill, LB, Penn nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/brian-… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 12 mins ago
- Did You See This:NFL Transactions for September 30, 2020; Roster Cuts, Daily Workouts and Signings… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 20 mins ago
- Did You See This:2021 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Mustafa Majeed, DB, Clark Atlanta University… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 46 mins ago
- Salter’s seven-round mock draft Way too early that is (Philadelphia Eagles) - nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/eagles…
about 51 mins ago
- NFL Transactions for September 30, 2020; Roster Cuts, Daily Workouts and Signings - nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/09/nfl-tr…
about 51 mins ago