In a visit with The MMQB’s Peter King on his podcast, Edelman dissected some of the build-up to the draft and also how close he was to not becoming a Patriot.
With the picks winding down in the seventh round, Edelman’s agent began fielding calls from teams about signing a free agent contract if he were to go undrafted. He got far enough along in the process to settle on a team.
“It was going to be the Packers, it was going to be the Green Bay Packers,” he said. “I don’t know why, [but] my agent thought it was the best fit.”
But before Edelman and his agent could proceed to sign a deal they had to wait until the draft finished.
His agent told him don’t be surprised if the Pats drafted him. It is crazy to think what would have happened if the Pats did not draft him, because the former quarterback from Kent State could have very well ended up as a weapon of Aaron Rodgers.
NFL Draft Diamonds
- NFL Transactions for February 21st, 2019 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/nfl-tr… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/XGOdl8A21o
about 5 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Bills trade down from 9 to 15 pick up a 1st rounder next year and a first this year, then draft Greedy Williams twitter.com/TwitterSports/…
about 6 mins ago via Twitter Web Client
- Five hidden gems in the 2019 NFL Draft - @Chobani84 @AboveQuis @SidFor6 @BradMayesQB_4 were all mentioned by… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 8 mins ago via Twitter Web Client
- Baron Davis’ Business Inside the Game Ignites NBA Wives Women’s Empowerment Summit, NBA and NFL Athletes, Entertain… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 14 mins ago via IFTTT
- Five hidden gems in the 2019 NFL Draft nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/02/hidden… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/7AwOtmRXD0
about 15 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro