This was hardly the highly touted showdown between 2011 No. 1 overall pick Newton and Kaepernick, the sixth quarterback drafted that year, in the second round. They roomed together during the scouting combine.
Kaepernick went 11 for 22 for 91 yards with an interception and was sacked six times for a 42.0 passer rating. Newton was only slightly better, going 16 of 32 for 169 yards, an interception and four sacks for a 52.7 rating.
For two teams that have been putting up points at a prolific pace for the past month, the defenses dictated this one.
I continue to feel that San Francisco 49ers made the wrong decision with quarterback. Alex Smith continues to win while teams are learning how to shut Kaepernick down.
NFL Draft Diamonds
- Did You See This:2020 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Jake Wood, WR, Nichols College nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/jake-w… #NFL… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 9 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- Last Chance:NFL Transactions for May 20, 2019 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/nfl-tr… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/bQXkXiuJOk
about 18 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro
- One trade I could see happening is Vernon Hargreaves to the Cardinals for Robert Nkemdiche. Arians and Keim have a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 30 mins ago via Twitter Web Client
- I need yall to do me a favor and go follow my boys on IG! They are amazing and will be helping Draft Diamonds with… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
about 32 mins ago via Twitter Web Client
- NFL Transactions for May 20, 2019 nfldraftdiamonds.com/2019/05/nfl-tr… #NFL #NFLDraftNews https://t.co/nrtTwnHprG
about 34 mins ago via Damond Talbot Wp Twitt Pro